Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig questions

Options
  • 03-03-2008 6:56pm

I always had dogs growing up but since moving into my house it's definitely not an option as we both work full-time.
    I'm not much of a cat person so have been doing some research into guinea pigs.

I have a few questions for anyone who keeps them.
    1) I'm reluctant to buy one from a pet shop, should I pop up to the DSPCA? Bearing in mind I'm considering getting two of them, would it be an issue introducing two adult rescue males?
    2) I would rather keep it/them indoors most of the time. I have a small garden in which they could be let out to run supervised, is it OK to keep them indoors most of the time?
    3) Regarding bedding and food, I've established that fleece is probably the way to go for bedding. Is guinea pig food pellet food easily available in pet stores?
    4) Can I use ordinary Vitamin C tables cut up for them?
    5) Finally, I'll also exercise them in the kitchen/bathroom. How likely are they to scuttle underneath furniture (and not come out?!)

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

From a pet shop you will get young pigs - in rescue you can not be sure of the age.

2 are better than 1.

Indoors is fine - you can get a very large indoor cage.

Bedding I would use hay - fleece will be chewed up & I am wary about them eating it etc.

Pet shops should sell the food - I use Prestige nature cavia - its a brilliant mix & the prestige hays are fantastic & have herbs & wild flowers in them - its not the cheapest food but is excellent quality.

You can get vitimins from the pet shop for small animals etc. Human dose may be too high for them.

PM me if you want more details on pigs.

Thanks a million Bond-007.
    I'm abroad for a couple of weeks but when I get back (and have convinced my other half!) I may take you up on that PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

1). Since this is your first time it's best to get either two males that have already bonded or two females that have bonded or a neutered male with a female that have bonded. Introducing two adult males that don't know each other is a no no, there have been times when this has worked but you really need to know your stuff. The DSPCA is one to try there is someone looking to home two guineas on rollercoaster.ie pet section but one is female and one is male you would have to see if they have been seperated and she is not already preg and the male would need to be neutered and given 5 to 6 wks before re introductions can be made. But do check out the rescue sites for pigs needing a home too.

2.) Indoors is best for guineapigs esp. in our upredictable weather. If given floor time of course. If putting them outside for a run they must be in a secure run or pen too many small gaps and cats etc. Believe it or not the occasional bird or prey will eye them up too.

3.) Fleece wise do you mean vet bed? I find it brilliant for sick or recovering pigs but to be honest the hay sticks everywhere in it and it's a nightmare to clean. A simple few layers of newspaper and hay on top is cheapest, cleanest and handiest for you, just roll it up and chuck away. I use plain cheap white vinegar to clean the housing with kitchen roll Tesco job. Safe to use even if the pigs are in the cage.

4.) No need to add Vit. C if your pigs are getting a balanced diet, Origional Rubex is the one some people use or you can get vit supplimants from some pet shops to be honest I used to use Rubex but I stopped when I realised there was no need for it unless a pig is convelesing etc they don't need anything extra added to their diet. A good quality dry food contains vit C as does fresh fruit and veggies. I use Burgess guineapig Excel mine are a bit picky so I use this it's a complete pellet and they love it. Or you can use the usual Supa Burgess guinea pig or the food Bond mentioned is nice too lots of tasty bits in it too yum yum.

5.) They will find places to hide but they will also come out, it's easy enough to block off areas they aren't the most agile animals although they can be fast on their feet and climb small steps. You can use stuff like boxes, books etc to block off an area. Best way to catch an upset pig it to fill a cardboard box or small cat carrier with hay and they will run straight into it and be delighted and want to stay there lol.

For more info visit my site below loads of info for you there.

I love wafflin about guineapigs I could go on and on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Oo and you might need to change your name to guineapig slave after you have them a few weeks you'll see why hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Definatley use hay on newspaper as hay will be part of their diet.

When I had mine I used Gerty Guinepig Food, don't use rabbit food as that does not have the added Vitamin C.

I had mine in a homemade hutch outside with a large run attached. If having them out either make a run. I wouldn't be too keen on letting them free rein unless you are there. Remember to ensure there is stuff like flower pots or round guttering that they can hide in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It is much better if you can keep them in during the winter and at night. If they are outside keep a very close eye on them for respiratory problems and fungal infections. Make sure they aren't exposed to too much dampness.

The pellet only food is much better than a mix as they cannot selectively feed. The Supa Excel feeds are the one recommended by vets. Do not feed too much of the pellets or they will not eat enough hay and they could be more prone to maloclusion(problems with their teeth) and they will also become too tubby.

I'd be the same as guineapigrescue, a half a rubex in their water if they are looking like they need a boost, or convalescing, otherwise they if they get a good diet they shouldn't need extra vitamins.

I do have a pair of brothers who will be going up for rescue if I can get one of them fully healthy. I took their mum and dad in with 2 babies, so mum was obviously preggers again. This poor little one was born with some sort of weakness in his back legs and is obviously not as strong as the other, he currently has a fungal infection that I am treating him for. They will have to go to an indoor only home as he is unlikely to survive outside. I reckon he will always be a little weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Mine were brought in on the coldest of nights (snow).

I get what you are saying about the damp. My pigs sleeping quarters were raised a good three inches off the ground.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    I'll let you know how I get on when I get the piggies.

Advertisement