Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooker sizes

Options
  • 03-03-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

hi all,

just bought our first house with the girlfriend, won't get keys for about 6 weeks.
    we're just planning out all of the costs for furnishing the house and i'm researching cookers at the moment.
    there seems to be 3 main types (other than the really huge ones):
    1. under counter single oven
    2. under counter double oven/grill
    3. built in unit (not under counter)

they all seem to be different heights. we'd ideally like a under counter double oven, but there's only a single oven installed at the moment. there seems to be some space below it, so would i be right in thinking that a double one would fit aswell?

we also want to have the oven electric and the hob in gas, i presume this is possible?

here's a pic of the kitchen that may help:
    castlevillage_green018.jpg

all help appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

can be done but get a kitchen fitter to adjust the cabinet for you ,neat job etc

make sure there is a gas pipe behind that oven to connect into plus you will have to make the ope on the counter top 1 inch bigger to accomadate the new gas hob as you have a solid plate hob there and the sizes differ a little -again a kitchen fitter will do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

is there different width cookers aswell, i think i read that somewhere. i think it was 55cm or 60cm or something...?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

is there different width cookers aswell, i think i read that somewhere. i think it was 55cm or 60cm or something...?
    Integrated appliances should be a standard size. It's the freestanding cookers that can come in ranges from 50cm, 55cm, 60cm, etc.

The oven you'll need will be a built-under double oven. These usually come with legs which are hidden behind the kickboard, but can be adjusted so that the top of the oven meets the counter properly.

thanks for the help byte

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

byte wrote: »
    Integrated appliances should be a standard size. .

just be careful ,because lately sizes are changing slightly,those under counter ovens can be 1 inch shorter in height ,seen a good few like this -

salestaff tell customers that all integated appliances are built to a standard size which is slightly untrue ,they are actually built to fit in to a standard size cabinet ,which gives the manufacturer a bit of lee way ,but means the customer might have to adjust thier cabinets to hide gaps

a lot of kitchen fitters over the boom years imported appliances from the continent direct which were slightly out of size for our standards but when fitting them made the nessacery adjustments(botched )the problems only arise when the appliance breaks and needs to be replaced ,thats when the fun starts as our ones wont fit properly and according to salestaff they are all standard etc

i do this for a living and its an increaseing problem every day especially integ washers and integ dishwashers which can be an inch different in depth compared to the ones supplied initially with the kitchens

• Advertisement

i can understand the ones from the continent being a slightly different size,
    but if any are 1 inch shorter, surely the legs are adjustable to make it the correct height?
    i have spotted one on adverts second hand, and if it's not already sold, i'm hoping it will fit:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=48014&cat=fav
    what you reckon?

Advertisement