Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotspot router ?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What I'd like to do is share my wifi connection with my neighbors who are mostly students and can't afford their own connection (or aren't in the flat for long enough).

I'd like to run a sort of hotspot where people can see the SSID, connect without needing a password but are limited to surfing and other basic services. I want to be able to limit bandwidth to each login and block ports (traffic shaping would be cool but probably too expensive). I need to make sure that p2p traffic is filtered out.

Does anyone know what type of router I'd need to manage this?
    My current Linksys doesn't do this and I need to replace it soon anyhow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fon?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well I was kinda thinking of that but needed to look into it a bit more.

My ISP offeres a download that will convery my modem into a FON modem, adding a FON login, but I'm not too sure how it works. Surely they don't want non-customers using my Internet connection ?

edit: Don't you have to pay for FON though when you're not the one sharing ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A router that can use DD-WRT will do as it contain support for several types of hotspot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Spear wrote: »
    A router that can use DD-WRT will do as it contain support for several types of hotspot.

Unfortunatly I have one of the only damn Linysys routers that isn't supported, the WRT54G Ver 7.0

I think you're right though. get them to chip in to buy a new router and go down the DD-WRT path.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ponster wrote: »
    Unfortunatly I have one of the only damn Linysys routers that isn't supported, the WRT54G Ver 7.0

I think you're right though. get them to chip in to buy a new router and go down the DD-WRT path.

Fairly annoying that, the v8 is supported and everything before 7. Buying WRT54GL would still do, or just get an older WRT54G off Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Wrap board + Monowall + Cm9 + 64mb flash card = done

Advertisement