Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod repair

• 03-03-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

My ipod has recently died on me. All I get when I try to switch it on is a symbol showing a little sad ipod which I believe means it's a hardware problem. As it's out of warranty does anyone know of a place in Waterford that does repairs at reasonable prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

There is no where that comes to mind at the mo. I'd say your best bet would be to send it to one of the apple stores. I'm sure the guys in the tech forums could help you locate one. It would prob be better just buying a new one though as I'd say sending it off would be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

maybe its just sick, if the sad ipod face comes up?

give it a lemsip and put it to bed, might be just a 24-hour thing.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OP: Try on Adverts.ie. There used to be a lad repairing them there :)

eldea: Nothing useful to contribute? You know where the door is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

try google your problem and see what other people that had the same problem did, and how much it cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

try google your problem and see what other people that had the same problem did, and how much it cost

The main advice from Google is to give the ipod a good hiding. Sounds weird but hitting or dropping the ipod can sometime fix this problem, it hasn't worked in my case. The other option is to open up the ipod myself and check that a cable hasn't come loose somewhere. I might try this tonight or tomorrow but it's not a thing I'd feel confidant doing.

Nobody seems to be able to put a price on a possible repair. People who sent it into apple say that it's expensive but nobody ever puts a price on it. That's why I'd rather find someone in town, all the other repair option(including the official apple one) insist on you sending them the ipod, before they will then tell you how much you have to pay to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does you Ipod show up in itunes when you connect it? Or show up in my computer when u connect it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Does you Ipod show up in itunes when you connect it? Or show up in my computer when u connect it?

It doesn't show up in itunes, as a drive under my computer or even as a devise under the usb safely remove hardware dialog.

Have you tried putting it into disk mode as described here
    Then try a restore as described here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bluesfan wrote: »
    The main advice from Google is to give the ipod a good hiding. Sounds weird but hitting or dropping the ipod can sometime fix this problem, it hasn't worked in my case. The other option is to open up the ipod myself and check that a cable hasn't come loose somewhere. I might try this tonight or tomorrow but it's not a thing I'd feel confidant doing.

LOL thats very true. I have an U2 iPod and if I shake it, it works. I was going to send it back to Apple and it was expensive but not that expensive (you can view the price before you submit it for service). I was going to give it to a Boardsie to fix but its an iPod that I dont want to see go missing! Iv got a replacement, iPod Mini anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There's a place in the UK I've used, called undercutter.co.uk, they are quick and reasonable cost.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmay!

This has worked for me a few times when i had a sad face on the iPod. You need to open up the iPod and take out the hard drive and give it a good shake. Then reconnect up the hard drive and close the casing and your iPod should work. I don't know how this works but it does. It is no good shaking the iPod you must take out the hard drive and shake that.

Heres a man for ya
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=3084&cat=38

Ipod repair in Wexford Cork area. Perhaps Waterford is included there too.

Advertisement