Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting driving yesterday

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So first outting in the car, have my learner permit since November btw. Two quick questions:

1)Were do you place your left foot, on the clutch or brake or do you leave it between both on the floor?

2)Would you put your hand-brake on everything you stop? My mam told me to in-case someone crashs into you from behind and it stops you to an extent of flying forward, does it make a different?

The title is meant to be "Started driving yesterday". Oops.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

So first outting in the car, have my learner permit since November btw. Two quick questions:

1)Were do you place your left foot, on the clutch or brake or do you leave it between both on the floor?

2)Would you put your hand-brake on everything you stop? My mam told me to in-case someone crashs into you from behind and it stops you to an extent of flying forward, does it make a different?

The title is meant to be "Started driving yesterday". Oops.

1. you brake with your right foot not your left! you leave your left foot on the floor when not operating the clutch

2. if you know your gonna be stopped at traffic lights or traffic yes always use your handbrake and put the car out of gear

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, well dont rest your left foot on the clutch and definitely not on the brake:eek:, leave your foot either to the left of the clutch, or if there's no room there just on the floor infront of the clutch, not between the clutch and brake. And as for using the handbrake i would tend to use it when stopped for longer than 5 seconds tbh, Stop, handbrake, neutral. But if you're not going to be stopped for long, if you can tell your light's going to go green or (insert any number of situations here) i'd just use the foot brake.
    Have you gotten any lessons? Or are you just driving around with your ma'?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers for the pointers and advice.;)
    Have you gotten any lessons? Or are you just driving around with your ma'?

I am getting 5 lessons over my Easter school holidays in-a-row and then after that I plan on getting 5 more (once each week for 5 weeks). I just went out with my mam on Sunday to a local car park to get a feel for it before the lessons. Literally was only about 10 minutes of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I just went out with my mam on Sunday to a local car park to get a feel for it before the lessons
    Ah, so that was you in Crumlin Shopping Centre!! :D;)

Good luck with the lessons Gavin and please feel free to ask us any further questions you may have.

Ah, so that was you in Crumlin Shopping Centre!! :D;)

Well I did say it to you in another thread.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well I did say it to you in another thread.:p
    Shhussh - don't tell everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Might take a trip to CSC this sunday and have a look!!!!

I'd recommend engaging the handbrake when stopped at lights for more than a few seconds. You'll notice that not many people do, cos their brake lights are always lit.

It gives you a few secs to relax, and ultmately you won't be as tired after driving.

tampopo wrote: »
    Might take a trip to CSC this sunday and have a look!!!!

I'd recommend engaging the handbrake when stopped at lights for more than a few seconds. You'll notice that not many people do, cos their brake lights are always lit.

It gives you a few secs to relax, and ultmately you won't be as tired after driving.

Cheers for the tips.

I'll be in the CSC this Sunday aswell from abut 4 "ish" if you need a laugh, or to give my mam a heart-attack:D

Advertisement