Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Studio. In a domestic basement.

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I am getting to the stage of construction where I need some advice. Please note jtsuited that this is not an advertisement, its not up and running yet!! ;) only messing!

The studio is in the basement of my new house. I am looking too insulate the ceiling to dampen the sound coming from the basement to the rest of the house. I have 10 foot ceilings planned. So I can drop down up to at least 1 foot and put the sound proofing in that space. Anybody got any ideas of the type of product that I can use?

Also, I need 3 windows between the Mix'in room and the 2 live rooms and drum room. Anybody know of anywhere that can design and fit these windows?

Anybody do anything like building a studio from scratch?

Any other issues that I better consider now?

Thanks in advance.

I've posted a tread in the construction section too. Just incase anyone here knows as it has a MP feel to it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ok,

I am getting to the stage of construction where I need some advice. Please note jtsuited that this is not an advertisement, its not up and running yet!! ;) only messing!

The studio is in the basement of my new house. I am looking too insulate the ceiling to dampen the sound coming from the basement to the rest of the house. I have 10 foot ceilings planned. So I can drop down up to at least 1 foot and put the sound proofing in that space. Anybody got any ideas of the type of product that I can use?

Also, I need 3 windows between the Mix'in room and the 2 live rooms and drum room. Anybody know of anywhere that can design and fit these windows?

Anybody do anything like building a studio from scratch?

Any other issues that I better consider now?

Thanks in advance.

I've posted a tread in the construction section too. Just incase anyone here knows as it has a MP feel to it too.

That'll be my area then! I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    That'll be my area then! I'll PM you.

Cheers Paul.
    studiorat wrote: »

I've sent him an email. Some class looking studios there!

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Some great info from Ethan Winner:
    http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
    And his forum here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/24/page/1

Learn all about the perils of parallel walls, the 38% rule and standing waves. Then don't expect your builder to listen to a word of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Best of luck with it Man - Sounds really cool!!

• Advertisement

Forgot about Ethan, really nice guy, I've had a few discussions with him. He's over on the R.A.P. news group and on Gearslutz. Always willing to answer a few intelligent questions.

Forgot about Ethan, really nice guy, I've had a few discussions with him. He's over on the R.A.P. news group and on Gearslutz. Always willing to answer a few intelligent questions.

Yeah, he's a star. I've picked his brains a few times on Gearslutz. You were in my old room in my place in Dun Laoghaire once, right? I put up a schematic of that and Ethan basically said, "Forget about it!" :D Thankfully I've moved.

Cheers, Its being a few years coming..... but its getting there.

Thanks Frobisher. At this stages its mainly just construction issue etc.

Interesting read!

Thanks Frobisher. At this stages its mainly just construction issue etc.

Which is the perfect point to get it right!

frobisher wrote: »
    Which is the perfect point to get it right!

+1

There's a specific dimension/size ratio you can build to initially, to get room nodes that don't relate. I teach some of this shizit, so it's become a hobby of mine in the last few years.

There are plenty of Excel spreadsheets around to help you work out correct dimensions etc. The tricky bit is to be able to figure out the dimensions of the various absorbers you'll need to build to correct any irregularities etc. Most off the shelf solutions are wide band and work grand, especially if your initial dimensions are correct.

Beware though some of these calculators are actually incorect, a + instead of a * (multiply). Last I heard the one on the SAE site was wrong.

Getting a designer in (budget willing) would be a plan though.

I'm waiting for a calculator from Dolby, will let you know what it's like...
    I have a folder of studio design articles I could send you, should be enough to make you think again:)

• Advertisement

Basement plans attached for those who where asking.

I cannot change the room dimensions. So if there is anything obvious please tell me.

All input welcome.

Basement plans attached for those who where asking.

I cannot change the room dimensions. So if there is anything obvious please tell me.

All input welcome.

Are those walls already in there or is that how you're planning to divide the space. And where's the machine room? :D

Let me forward that to the real Pros! It's great you've so much space and 10ft ain't too bad a height for a basement!

Lets see what we can do to realize the potential.

As I've said before, it's an area even more full of Witchcraft and Charlatans than the normal Music Biz!

Bless the Work!

frobisher wrote: »
    Are those walls already in there or is that how you're planning to divide the space. And where's the machine room? :D

That is the room layout. Could not change it as those where what is needed to support the rest of the house. I am sure the room sizes will have to be altered via Studs to make better acoustics.

Its hitting 1300 square feet with 10 feet ceilings. I got too add on the bottom part of the sun room which is now the drum room.

I am not sure if the windows are wide enough?

I'll try add a real pic later.

When can I move in?!

Oct 08. I was wondering what do to with that last room..... renting it out seems like a logical step!!! ;)

Oct 08. I was wondering what do to with that last room..... renting it out seems like a logical step!!! ;)

In there like swim wear!

A few real pics.

****e, there a bit on the large size!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

Good for you man, best of luck with it.

What gear are you planning on having in there?

Liam

PaulBrewer wrote: »

As I've said before, it's an area even more full of Witchcraft and Charlatans than the normal Music Biz!

I don't agree I'm afraid. It's never been easier to find out about this kind of thing and there's never been so many tools available to calculate and measure the parameters involved. All this information is available freely.

Certainly using someone with experience is a bonus (their project management experience alone is), especially if you don't have the time or inclination to research the subject. Apart from the using the internet most libraries carry a copy of the Master Handbook of Acoustics by F.Alton Everest, it's something you should probably buy. It's straight forward enough and not too difficult to understand.

Anyway, I wanted to make a few comments about the PDF's if I may. Purely from a Studiorat point of view. Would you consider having the control room in the room to the left? the one with the drum booth. I was just thinking that you are going to end up with two live rooms with the same dimensions, so unless you go to town on treatment both will sound pretty much the same I'd guess.

Also, the control room is where you are going to spend most of your time, and if there's windows in the drum booth! Well, think about sitting there on a summers day with the window open and some nice music happening!

Finally line of sight is very important, it adds to the feeling of space in the studio and is highly important for musicians too. With the middle room and the room to the far right set up as the live rooms, not putting the drums in the booth! ahem... And hopefully double glass sliding doors between each room would make it a beautiful place to work. I'm sure RSJ's or a bit of wood could support the ceiling!

You could visit Pulse studio and you could see the kind of layout I'm talking about. Though I'd have put a dead end in there.

whooa! big post...

• Advertisement

I don't agree I'm afraid. It's never been easier to find out about this kind of thing and there's never been so many tools available to calculate and measure the parameters involved. All this information is available freely.

Certainly using someone with experience is a bonus (their project management experience alone is), especially if you don't have the time or inclination to research the subject. Apart from the using the internet most libraries carry a copy of the Master Handbook of Acoustics by F.Alton Everest, it's something you should probably buy. It's straight forward enough and not too difficult to understand.

whooa! big post...

My point was as it's an area that a lot of guys aren't too familiar with (hence eggboxes as a solution!) there's a lot of guys around with Big Caclulators and Sharp Suits making an impression.... some are good some ain't. You and I have both been in Studios designed by 'Top' guys to find them Dawgs!

Yes, I agree. If I'm employing an Acoustician, and making building/spending decisions on that, I want a guaranteed performance. This Guarantee doesn't come from free info on the net.

Advertisement