Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youngest age to do LC

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I know quite a few people who will only be 16 doing the exam is this common for people to be this young?

Comments

Probably not common but for schools which have the option of skipping TY you'd normally get a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup I know a few 16 year olds who done the leaving, and as Myth said all them were in T.Y. skipping schools. Never heard of a 15 year old doing a leaving cert mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

there's always a few, the ones who started primary school when they were barely four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

yep my cousin did it 2 years ago and he was 15.He had to repeat though because he was too young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I'm 16 doing it this year....I didn't bother with TY..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

blue-army are you a female as I thought only the mercy in waterford have the option of skipping TY ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Compulsary TY? wtf?

mmad wrote: »
    blue-army are you a female as I thought only the mercy in waterford have the option of skipping TY ?
    nope...De La Salle have the option as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jhealy74

not much point in doing the leaving cert @16 if you intend going to college. getting turned away at the door while your mates get into clubs etc aint going to be much fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I'm not sure of other years but there will be 3 or 4 cantidates to are 19 sitting the exam in June and there will be 1 or 2 just 16, and some just turned 17. I'll be 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I was 16 doing the leaving. Not a bother if your good enough you're old enough
    jhealy74 wrote: »
    not much point in doing the leaving cert @16 if you intend going to college. getting turned away at the door while your mates get into clubs etc aint going to be much fun

I get turned away with the same regualrity now (22) as I did then. All my mates were older and I looked 18+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I was just gone 17 doing the Leaving and didn't turn 18 until the very end of my first year in college. Got myself a fake id and not a bother getting into anywhere.

I could have done TY or taken a year out when I finished to work but decided not to. Tbh, I'm glad I didn't then but am currently taking a year out before I go back to finish my degree. Best decision I ever made and this year is benefiting me more than the other options ever could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I was 16 doing the Leaving, and start college when I had just gone 17. Dropped out within months. I wasn't mature enough, or ready for college life at all.

Went back to college when I was 18, going on 19, and absolutely love it. Would recommend taking a year out for anyone doing the LC at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

in waterford mount sion dont even have 4th year just have the option of doing lcvp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Jamey wrote: »
    I was 16 doing the Leaving, and start college when I had just gone 17. Dropped out within months. I wasn't mature enough, or ready for college life at all.

Went back to college when I was 18, going on 19, and absolutely love it. Would recommend taking a year out for anyone doing the LC at 16.

Yeah, I can see how you reached that conclusion... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

2 girls in my year were 16 doing the LC and one is repeating despite the 500 points she got, she feels too young, she only turned 17 in november. Another girl is leaving up in Dublin and is grand with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i know my friend who did the leaving 2 years ago was only 16 and he was the youngest in the country to do it, apparently, but he went onto college regardless and is now in his...3rd year?! i dont know him THAT well lol
    but my friend in school just turned 17 today which kinda sucks cause he wont be able to go out in college for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

One of my friends will only turn 17 in the end of september!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Im 15 and in 5th yr, and will be 16 sitting my leaving. Will be 17 mid- August, so very young for college. Although i think i might have to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I did Ty so Ill be 17 starting college, wont be 18 til mid september, started school at 3....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I shall be 18 thanks to TY :) Worth it just for that, otherwise I'd be 17 for nearly all of 1st year in uni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i'm only in ty now, i'm 16, i'll be 18 in lc, 19 starting college cos my birthday is the first of september ha!

Never heard of a 15 year old doing a leaving cert mind you.

Hi, that was me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I'll be 19 doing the LC but there are people in my class who will be just gone 17....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

19 doing the LC, 20 come December :cool: thanx to TY and repeating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eoghanisonfire

i was 16 doing the leaving, not a bother on me doing it, but coming to college just after turning 17 was too young i think

still 17 and gonna see if i pass first year in a couple months

(in the middle of exams right now actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

would be 16 going into college, turning 17 a few days in if it wasn't for TY...

dying to go to college but to get the most out of it i reckon you have to be 18 really... even though i've been passing for 18 since i was 14, i'd prefer to be actually 18 by that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I was just gone 17 doing it and 17 all throughout my first year in college.
    ****ers wouldn't let me do transition year. The wild sex parties in college made up for it. Not many 17 year olds were at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i was 16 doing the lc, 17 during my first year of uni in bfast, got in everywhere, and my id that i used was my student card

• Advertisement

I'm 17 and just did the LC......I won't be 18 until next April...

Advertisement