Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youngest age to do LC

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

If you started school at the proper age and skipped TY you will be 16/17 in 6th year. You will be 17/18 in this case if you did TY.

Your age in the LC depends on what date your birthday is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Plug-me-in

Yeah, i turned 18 the day of Irish paper two! And I did transition year... Few people were 16 in my year, i know one of them is repeating! (he was always immature though....) Though, my dad did his leaving cert at 16 (back in the day...) and was a qualified dctor at 22! (Don't know the relevancy of that tbh, but it sounds cool! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

More and more people are skipping TY. It's there decision so let them off imo.

My mam was 16 in her first year at university so it's not totally uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

girl in my year who just did the leaving cert this june turned 16 this month! she was 15 doing it! Actually she had to get a letter from our principal to go to school....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

ill be 18, a lot of people in my year will be 19, think the oldest person was 18 in feb or march of this year (5th year) and then all the people who skipped ty will be just turned 17!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I know a guy who just did the LC ad he wont be 18 til next march..... thats the youngest i have come across

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was 16, and only turned 17 at the end of August...that was a year ago. I'm just going 18 now in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

I did TY and repeated so i'll be 19 going into college. Sis who is 16 will be startin college also this year. Shes not 17 unitl december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I know a guy who just did the LC ad he wont be 18 til next march..... thats the youngest i have come across
    Thats crazy young. Surely the youngest ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

blue-army wrote: »
    I'm 17 and just did the LC......I won't be 18 until next April...

I did the leaving in 2006. Was 17 and not 18 until the following April aswell.
    There was no way in hell i was going repeating and even less chance of me doin TY which btw i had the option of doing.

In college there was always the odd night that i was turned away from niteclubs but that is about the only diadvantage of being 17.

when the options are weighed up:

college @ 17 Vs repeat LC.....................there's only one winner.

I have no regrets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

A good few of my friends were 16 doing the LC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the youngest possible (not doing TY, not skipping a year and starting school at the required age) would be 16 by September of 6th year, though I have a vague recollection of some sentence in a document stating that a child on entrance to second-level must be 12 before November 1st of their first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I had turned 17 three months before I did the leaving cert and I know someone who was turning 16 while doing the leaving cert exam.

He did Architecture in DIT so could get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Before I took a year out of college there was a guy in my class (scary Russian dude who argued with a lecturer about the foundations of mathematics) who turned 17 in December of first year.

I was 17 when I did my LC, would have been 16 if I'd skipped TY, I have a summer birthday.

Advertisement