Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Petrol Cap problem?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 8:26pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone on here can help...

My better half went to put petrol in her car the other day but she couldn't get the petrol cap open! Women I thought but I had a go but still no joy.

It is one of those key locking caps!

I wouldn't be great with the cars so thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is the car new to you or is this a new problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

VW petrol caps are a little bit fiddley and when locked they will spin freely. What you need to do is hold it with one hand, turn the key counterclockwise as far as it will go with the other hand. Take the key out and turn the cap anticlockwise to remove.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

alias no.9 wrote: »
    VW petrol caps are a little bit fiddley and when locked they will spin freely. What you need to do is hold it with one hand, turn the key counterclockwise as far as it will go with the other hand. Take the key out and turn the cap anticlockwise to remove.
    Alias you hit the nail on the head! Thanks

If I was female I would be blonde! As I said I dont do cars!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a side note - my VW Polo petrol cap won't open if you lock your car door, not sure if it's the same with yours. (just incase there's issues in the future)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

star-pants wrote: »
    Just a side note - my VW Polo petrol cap won't open if you lock your car door, not sure if it's the same with yours. (just incase there's issues in the future)

The OP's Polo sounds like a slightly older model than yours - the petrol flap does not lock with the central locking, but is a manual affair which requires the use of the key in the lock on the screw on cap.

OP - I've seen many of these give grief - especially in the late 1990's Polos. Usually a new key cylinder will do the trick. But you'll need to make it suit your current key (not that difficult, bud fiddly). Alternatively, you can buy a new locking cap from you local main dealer, but you'll then have a different key for the just for the petrol flap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Alias you hit the nail on the head! Thanks

If I was female I would be blonde! As I said I dont do cars!

Thanks again

A misspent youth as a petrol pump attendent, remember that, when a spotty younglad would come over and put petrol in your car for you.

Advertisement