Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

kp61

Options
  • 03-03-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi guys,

dont know if this will annoy ye but....

i mite be buying a kp61 rwd starlet 1984 for my first car. its got a litace engine 1.5 . basically would you guys think it would be smart to insure it as a normal 1.0 starlet. its a 1.0 on the tax book. im 17 btw but i have a full licence...

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Rust buckets. They rusted badly back in the 80's, and they'll be worse now. There is a few on sale on Carzone, and even a few fresh in from Japan (I didn't think there was any left over there!) They probably would be in better condition than any Euro-spec. models.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not smart to insure your car as something it isn't. If you crash it (which, lets face it - is likely) they will find out and you'll be rightly fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It would be cheaper just to photoshop an insurance disc and print it out. It will be about just as useful as what you're suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

In a word no. Presumably you'll be getting third party insurance. This means that if you're in an accident and it's your fault then your insurance will cover the injured third party's losses. However if you make a false declaration on an insurance form, saying it's a 1.0L when it's a 1.5, you'll basically be driving around uninsured. You're breaking the principle of 'utmost good faith' as well as the law. Basically if you lie to the insurance companies you're not covered. It follows then that anyone you injure in an accident isn't covered either because you've broken your terms of contract with the insurance company.
    Let me put it like this: If you run into me (we'll say it's totally your fault) and I'm injured, I'll be looking to you in a murderous rage for cash to cover lost wages, medical bills, new car etc. How you like them apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ben2k7

is there no way of etting around it if it says 1.0 on the tax book. what if i did insure it as a 1.0 starlet, technicly it is...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Technically it ****ing is not. Your insurance cert won't be worth the paper its printed on and in the event of a claim against you the insurance company can sue you for the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Look, you know it's a 1.5. In the event of an accident the insurance companies assessor will see that it's a 1.5. He'll then check your details and realise that they don't sync. You'll be rumbled for a number of things which I can't be bothered outlining here.
    Basically if you wanna keep the police happy at check-points it'll work beautifully. If you crash you are completely funked and your insurance premium, that is if you can get insurance, will be sky high for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also you will be taxing it as a 1.0 litre which again is illegal. The guards werent born yesterday and may know of the car being a 1.5 litre.

Its called fraud buddy and if/when found out you will be f**ked

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the lads said. Don't mess with your insurance company, Ben

Let's say you went ahead. Let's say you caused an accident and left a young father permanently handicapped. He'll never work again. Your insurance company settles the case for €5,000,000 (5 million euro)

Your insurance company will sue you. They will have you for every cent you'll ever earn until the day you die. Think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ben2k7

do you insure on the engine or chassis/car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ben2k7 wrote: »
    do you insure on the engine or chassis/car?

I'd imagine the Chassis (to be identified by the reg) but the engine size is one of the aspects so if your lieing about that , as above, you may as well keep your premium money. Plus the tax fraud issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dont think you'll get it to pass NCT either - even if they don't cop it and report you, they'll be testing emissions on a 1.5 and expecting levels for a 1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Buy something sensible now, you'll have loads of time for that stuff later. Don't go down the road of illegality, the short term fun you might have now could be followed by a long term misery. Do a thread search for a recent post here on a guy that had no insurace/tax (which is what you are effectively doing). He got a one year ban, meaning more than just one year off the road, his insurance come ban end will be colossul.
    OH BTW:
    Too many people are dying on the roads because they have no proper training or are "heroes" on the road. One of the lads died last week in a car crash because he thought he "knew the roads". We'll miss him.
    So take it easy, go to Mondello of you want some kicks.

Advertisement