Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise needed

Options
  • 03-03-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Yesterday I bought a TV from an ad in a newspaper.It was a private sale where the lady selling it advised it "was an unwated xmas gift"

There was quite a distance between us so we agreed to meet halfway. I bought the tv in good faith that it was in good working order as I did not have the opportubity to check it before I purchased.( i know its stupid now in hindsight)

Anyway I gave her €350 for the TV . When I got home it was not working. There is some kind of problem with the picture.

She gave me two mobile numbers, one just goes to v/m the other just rings out

She also gave me her address (which I doubt is real )

I also took the registration number of her car as a precaution in case of worst case scenario which appears to have happened.

Any advise where I should go from here or am I completely screwed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

When you buy from a non-commercial seller you have no protection by law. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

:( that women was mean. bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

Yesterday I bought a TV from an ad in a newspaper.It was a private sale where the lady selling it advised it "was an unwated xmas gift"

There was quite a distance between us so we agreed to meet halfway. I bought the tv in good faith that it was in good working order as I did not have the opportubity to check it before I purchased.( i know its stupid now in hindsight)

Anyway I gave her €350 for the TV . When I got home it was not working. There is some kind of problem with the picture.

She gave me two mobile numbers, one just goes to v/m the other just rings out

She also gave me her address (which I doubt is real )

I also took the registration number of her car as a precaution in case of worst case scenario which appears to have happened.

Any advise where I should go from here or am I completely screwed ?

Jesus that was unfortunate. Some people just aren't honest at all. If you know someone in the guards they might be able to check the reg for you and you'd be able to find her that way, provided the car is actually registered to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Jesus that was unfortunate. Some people just aren't honest at all. If you know someone in the guards they might be able to check the reg for you and you'd be able to find her that way, provided the car is actually registered to her.

Tell me about it , I feel I cant take anyones word anymore .. she seemed to be genuine with a load of kids in the back of the car for good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Your only recourse legally is a solicitor, as by buying privately you are not covered by sale of goods, supply of services act 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Your only recourse legally is a solicitor, as by buying privately you are not covered by sale of goods, supply of services act 1980.

I think this is correct, Caveat emptor applies in private sales (let the buyer beware).

Sorry to not be more help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since she gave you an address, you could call around to see if it checks out. If she's there, then tell her the TV doesn't work and see what happens. If she refuses to play ball, maybe get a solicitor to send her a letter, this might scare her into giving you your money back. It also might cost as much as the TV did, so whether this will be worth doing or not is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm sure it's easy to fake a solicitors letter. The web is your friend.
    Best of luck with it.

jor el wrote: »
    Since she gave you an address, you could call around to see if it checks out. If she's there, then tell her the TV doesn't work and see what happens. If she refuses to play ball, maybe get a solicitor to send her a letter, this might scare her into giving you your money back. It also might cost as much as the TV did, so whether this will be worth doing or not is up to you.

I called the local Gaurd that covers the address she gave me and he says its incomplete , so looks like that avenue may be shut at this stage.

He was very helpful though and is following up on the registration number .. he reckons theres a good chance to track her down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sadiew

That's unbelievable! I wonder does she do this sort of thing all the time?
    I was reading about this new tv show that tracks down people like this and confronts them, you could try that?

The address is <snip>removed</snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buying a TV without seeing it plugged in and working is a very bad idea.

If she told you categorically that it was working and it is not, then you might have a legal case against her, but could be very difficult to prove.

sadiew wrote: »
    That's unbelievable! I wonder does she do this sort of thing all the time?
    I was reading about this new tv show that tracks down people like this and confronts them, you could try that?

The address is <snip>removed</snip>

I hope not , if she gets away with suff like this once , chances are she'll do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"Loads of kids in the back of the car", dose that not ring a bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lilowlil

what a bitch! call the guards and see what advice they give you and if you have the reg of the car she might be known as she may of done this before . unfortunate for you...maybe try the same thing and sell it on!!! (only joking)

lilowlil wrote: »
    what a bitch! call the guards and see what advice they give you and if you have the reg of the car she might be known as she may of done this before . unfortunate for you...maybe try the same thing and sell it on!!! (only joking)

I could do you a good deal on a 32" LCD ... Like new condition ;)

Advertisement