Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Midweek

• 03-03-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

To Go Through

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Milan
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barca
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - United
    Sevilla v Fenerbahce, (agg 2-3) - Sevilla

Chelsea v *******kos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea
    FC Porto v Schalke 04, (agg 0-1) - Schalke
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Madrid

I think Milan will have too much for Arsenal at the San Siro, however I'm just not sure to be honest.
    As for the United game, I'm both worried and extremely confident :) I think we could beat them 4-0, at the same time, it could be a really scrappy game. I feel we should have enough to win this game relatively comfortable, but we'll have to wait until we see the teams tomorrow :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal to go through
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barca to go through
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - United to go through AET
    Sevilla v Fenerbahce, (agg 2-3) - Sevilla to go through

Chelsea v *******kos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea to go through
    FC Porto v Schalke 04, (agg 0-1) - Porto to go through AET
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Madrid to go through comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal on away goals
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - Lyon

Chelsea v Olymp1akos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea
    FC Porto v Schalke 04, (agg 0-1) - Porto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

To Go Through

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Meeeelan
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barce
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - ManYoo
    Sevilla v Fenerbahce, (agg 2-3) - Fenerbahce

Chelsea v Olympíakos, (agg 0-0) - Chelski
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Rome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

To Go Through

Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barce

Chelsea v Olympíakos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Arent we forgetting Liverpool or have I missed something? :p

To go through;
    Arsenal
    Barca
    Man U (would love Lyon to go through but dont want to jynx it)
    Sevilla
    Chelsea
    Schalke
    Madrid
    Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eZe^ wrote: »

Not playing till next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bigger fish to fry on Wednesday! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

they playing west ham in their back match on wed.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

To go through;
    Arsenal
    Barca
    Man U (would love Lyon to go through but dont want to jynx it)
    Sevilla
    Chelsea
    Schalke
    Madrid
    Liverpool

*Dons Celtic jersey*

So it's like that then, eh?:p

Nearly bit one of the stewards heads off at the Camp Nou today for telling me that they weren't selling any tickets to British people! Plenty of tickets left but they're turning away anyone with a British or Irish passport. The Ajuntament seemed to have learned their lesson after the Rangers' fans left Plaza Catalunya in a mess. They've organised a fan fest by Montjuic where they're giving out free food to Celtic supporters. Not bad at all!

As for the matches,

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barça, easily

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    *Dons Celtic jersey*

So it's like that then, eh?:p

Hahahah! Nah, I admire united for playing some of the most efficient and attractive football in the world, but I want to see Benzema get a couple of memorable victories before putting on the blaugrana colours :p. Ya, I remember seeing Rangers fans urinating on the statue and stuff. Bad form, Celtic supporters have a good relationship with Barca though, so its all good. Are you not a Soci??
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    they playing west ham in their back match on wed.

kdjac

My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal, score draw
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barca, score draw
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - United, win by two goals
    Sevilla v Fenerbahce, (agg 2-3) - Sevilla, win by one goal

Chelsea v *******kos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea win by two goals
    FC Porto v Schalke 04, (agg 0-1) - Schalke, draw
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Madrid, win by two gaols

Hahahah! Nah, I admire united for playing some of the most efficient and attractive football in the world, but I want to see Benzema get a couple of memorable victories before putting on the blaugrana colours :p. Ya, I remember seeing Rangers fans urinating on the statue and stuff. Bad form, Celtic supporters have a good relationship with Barca though, so its all good. Are you not a Soci??

Nope, don't really go that ofter tbh. Cheapest tickets left for tomorrow's game are €150. I usually wouldn't spend that amount in a week! Think I'll end up i one of the Irish bars with one eye on the United match and the other on Barça.

I expect Barça to win this one comfortably. They've a clean bill of health for the first time in a long time and it really is frightening to think that the players that didn't even make the 18-man squad are Giovani and Edmilson (ok, maybe not!).

The team I expect to see from the start is,

Valdes

--Zambrotta----Puyol----Milito----Abidal

Touré

Xavi
    Iniesta

Messi
    Ronaldinho---

Eto'o

Henry, Deco, Bojan, Gudjohnsen and Marquez certainly aren't bad options to have from the bench!

Toure shouldnt have been rested for this game (he would have been helpful against Atletico).. No disrespect to Celtic but they should be ok with Edmilson/ Marquez as DM when playing with a 3-2 advantage at home. Has Sylvinho made squad?

Does any Utd fan know their probable set up? Will Hargreaves be dropped seeing as its a home game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To Go Through

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Strongly fancy Milan

I reckon United vs Lyon will make for a good game. Wouldn't surprise me to see Lyon threaten to cause an upset although I see Utd getting through in the end.

Toure shouldnt have been rested for this game (he would have been helpful against Atletico).. No disrespect to Celtic but they should be ok with Edmilson/ Marquez as DM when playing with a 3-2 advantage at home. Has Sylvinho made squad?

Does any Utd fan know their probable set up? Will Hargreaves be dropped seeing as its a home game?

This is the Barça squad:

Valdés, Pinto, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Sylvinho, Bojan, Eto'o, Milito, Messi, Ronaldinho, Deco, Abidal, Thuram, Zambrotta, Gudjohnsen y Touré Yaya.

Whatever about Marquez, I don't think Edmilson is physical enough for a game like this. Bad result at the weekend but it's easy to pass judgement on hindsight.

As for United, Carrick looks likely to start. Giggs is a doubt for this game and ideally Nani would start on the left, but I think Ferguson might be worried about a lack of defensive cover from his wingers. Team will probably be:

Van der Sar

--Brown----Ferdinand----Vidic----Evra--

Ronaldo---Carrick---Scholes/Anderson---Giggs

Tevez
    Rooney

After Scholes' performance at the weekend against Fulham, Fergie may be considering starting him. I'd prefer to see Anderson start though because he offers us that little bit more energy in the centre. If Giggs isn't fit, it's anyones guess who'll play on the left. It'll most likely be Nani though, although Park had a good game at the weekend aswell. On the bench it'll probably be PIG, O'Shea, Hargreaves, Scholes/Anderson, Nani/Park, Saha and possibly Pique/Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nobody reallys knwos how united are gona line up, its a big big question. We would have thought Carrick, because he was rested, but after the Fulham game, Fergie said he had decided his team for Lyon, but then totally changed his mind, so no idea what is going on :)
    Personally I expect Carrick and Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs, Tevez and Rooney, but I won't be surprised to see Anderson instead of Scholes or Tevez, nor Hargreaves in for Carrick or Scholes, Giggs injuried also a possibility.
    Should be interesting ;P

PHB wrote: »
    Nobody reallys knwos how united are gona line up, its a big big question. We would have thought Carrick, because he was rested, but after the Fulham game, Fergie said he had decided his team for Lyon, but then totally changed his mind, so no idea what is going on :)
    Personally I expect Carrick and Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs, Tevez and Rooney, but I won't be surprised to see Anderson instead of Scholes or Tevez, nor Hargreaves in for Carrick or Scholes, Giggs injuried also a possibility.
    Should be interesting ;P

I think if Giggs plays, Scholes wont and vice-versa. Fergie will probably want that experience in midfield but wont want to sacrifice pace and tempo. Not sure if he'd risk Nani, particularly seeing as there's only really space for one player to have that free role in midfield and it's always going to be Ronaldo. That could mean either Park starting or Anderson being pushed left or even 4-3-3. There are just so many options available, which is particularly great to see at this time of year!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal
    Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - Man Utd

Chelsea v Olymp1akos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

AC Milan v Arsenal, (agg 0-0) - Arsenal (Away goals)
    Barcelona v Celtic, (agg 3-2) - Barcelona

Chelsea v 0lympiakos, (agg 0-0) - Chelsea
    Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Real

• Advertisement

Valdés, Pinto, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Sylvinho, Bojan, Eto'o, Milito, Messi, Ronaldinho, Deco, Abidal, Thuram, Zambrotta, Gudjohnsen y Touré Yaya.

Jaysus, not a bad squad there at all :D. Fairly happy with the depth in every position..

Id like to see;

V.V

--Puyol----Milito----Marquez----Abidal/ Sylvinho--

Toure

Xavi
    Iniesta

--Messi
    Etoo
    Ronnie

Sylvinho has played excellent attacking wise lately, and since its a home fixture I wouldnt mind seeing him start ahead of Abidal (who's better all around).

Van der Sar

--Brown----Ferdinand----Vidic----Evra--

Ronaldo---Carrick---Anderson/ Scholes---Nani

Tevez
    Rooney

Looks fairly formidable tbh... Looks like Lyons best chance of nicking a goal is gonna be from individual magic from Bene or a trademark free kick from the one they call Juninho. Toulalan has his work cut out in midfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I think United have it in the bag but Ferguson feels threatened by Karim Benzema.

Any thoughts on this match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come on Lyon. That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

is this match so important it needs its own thread?!

Utd will win. Praying Lyon do though. COME ON BENZEMA!

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I think United have it in the bag
    What makes you think this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

juninho double hat-trick with a corkscrew

To be honest, I'm getting pretty worried about the match now. Nowhere near as confident when I was thinking objectively :) I think it's because I feel we are the best team in Europe that is making me so nervous, because if we go out, it'll be just utter disappointment rather than what I've felt over the last few years, like it was to be expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Man Utd v Lyon, (agg 1-1) - Man Utd on Pens

Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

To be honest, I'm getting pretty worried about the match now. Nowhere near as confident when I was thinking objectively :) I think it's because I feel we are the best team in Europe that is making me so nervous, because if we go out, it'll be just utter disappointment rather than what I've felt over the last few years, like it was to be expected

Same here. I know it's pretty arrogant to say it, but I really do feel United could and maybe should win the CL with the squad they have this year. It would be gutting to see them go out to Lyon at home. I think united will go through, but that individual piece of magic from Benzema in the 1st leg shows that anything is possible...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd be almost as worried for United as i would be for Arsenal (well not quite, but Lyon pose a much greater threat than many media commentators and fans alike seem to think). everyone is talking about Benzema, but surely Lyon's greatest threat comes from Juninho; I thought he was pretty poor the last leg, but if he plays like he can i think he is more than capable of exposing the United defence with his passing or set pieces. In United's favour though, i think Ferguson knows exactly what kind of threat they pose (is he only talking about Benzema to add extra pressure on him?), but will this filter down to the players? i wouldn't be surprised if United go one goal up early on and the likes of Ferdinand fall asleep... either way, i find this matchup as fascinating as the Milan - Arsenal one for some reason. let's hope it's a good game.

Milito out for match tonight due to a fever. ****e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Barce + Unireh + Sevilla

E20 = E49 please!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Barce + Unireh + Sevilla

E20 = E49 please!
    to win tonight, or to go through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

win tonight.... forgot bout that, lol. should still be okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Real Madrid v Roma, (agg 1-2) - Roma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

With Barcelona coming back into form, I'd say it's Utd, Chelsea and Barca who are the best at the moment. Although over the past decade United have always been the best or at least in the top three in Europe, and have [emph] relatively [/emph] underachieved. That's why this could be a slippery one for United - complacency. Still I expect MU to win it, but as a Liverpool fan and with no JOS or RK playing I won't be too upset if Lyon get through;)

My gripe is with the choice of match by RTE. It seems to be compulsary to show English teams. The Arsenal Milan game should be a much better game and even involves an English team. TBH I see enough of the 'big 4' on the telly and amn't too interested in the other English teams. Sometimes I wish they were all* eliminated so we could have a good analysis of the other great European teams. At least Setanta are showing Barcelona (but I think they're really showing Celtic). As for Wednesday's games, why will they not show Madrid v Roma?:confused:

*even Liverpool (or teams with Irish players). Emphasis on 'sometimes'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

7 home wins. Milan and Real the 2 doubts though.

If United win tonight, they'll equal Juventus' record of ten straight home wins in Europe apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Setanta are kindly showing Milan - Arsenal rather than Barca - Celtic I just heard. The latter might be on SkyOne (edit - nope its not)

Mike.

Barca - Celtic is on Setanta 1, Sky Sports 2 and ITV Scotland.

Arsenal team:
    Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Senderson, Clichy, Eboué, Flamini, Fabregas, Diaby, Hleb, Adebayour.

• Advertisement

Man Utd:
    Van der Sar, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Vidic, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Nani, C.Ronaldo, Rooney.

Ugh, the 4-5-1 strikes again. Surprised he put in Fletcher though. It looks a lot like the system we played against Arsenal, so I guess thats what he is running for

Celtic:
    Boruc; Wilson, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor; Nakamura, S.Brown, Hartley, Donati, McGeady; Vennegoor.

Ugh, the 4-5-1 strikes again. Surprised he put in Fletcher though. It looks a lot like the system we played against Arsenal, so I guess thats what he is running for

glass half empty?

its more a 433 when you have the ball, glass half full.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Absolutely delighted with that team. Feel bad for Tevez though.

I like the thinking behind the ManYoo team tbh.

Scholes made things too slow in the middle last time, surely he's nothing but a bit-part player now?

Is this what it will be?

Carrick---Fletcher----

Anderson----

Ronaldo
    Nani

Rooney

Or will Flethcer sit and let Carrick and Anderson do most of the attacking.

I was dying to watch this match tbh, but Boardeaux are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cris, Ben Arfa and Benzema start for Lyon. Cris played his first game in a few months at the weekend afaik.

Arsenal Milan game is fairly decent, milan playing on the break at home.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Barca Celtic game is a great watch!;)

Not because Barca are quite obviously the better team, we knew that....but because Celtic seem hell bent on making it easier for them!

Hleb booked for diving, if he didnt swan lake it he would have got a free or peno.

Was a foul but he went down too easy.

Cesc hits the bar!!!!

jebus this is thrilling 0-0 :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement