Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Midweek

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

KdjaCL wrote: »
    good win for schalke.

kdjac

Indeed, but both teams poor for large periods of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dobsdave wrote: »
    Indeed, but both teams poor for large periods of the game.

Only seen ET, porto didnt finish their dinner so get nowt.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Anyone notice Dunphy contradict himself again?? Yesterday he was criticising united for not playing Scholes, yet he was mocking the 'wiseguy' that questions Grant for not playing the likes of Essien and Anelka today... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So that makes the final eight:

Manchester United
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Fenerbahce
    Schalke
    Roma
    Barcelona
    Liverpool or Inter

I think it bodes very well for the English teams left in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dear Santa/Jesus/whomever it may concern

Can I please have Schalke in the next round. If Schalke are not available i'll take fenerbahce.

Thanks, Arsenal FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

United to get Schalke or Fenerbache in the quarters, they always have rediculous luck in draws.

The english teams will be terrified of drawing each other, nightmare scenario would be two all english games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dunph is hilarious. "Robben is a poor player, Drenthe, ordinary, Gago useless!"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He is hilarious, as long as he isn't talking about your team!

Agree with him on drenthe and gago but think robben has to be arsed and Schuster doesnt make him arsed like jose used too.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

United to get Schalke or Fenerbache in the quarters, they always have rediculous luck in draws.

You can't actually be serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, defo, like Villa then Arsenal in the FA Cup, then Lyon in the CL when they were the hardest possible team we could ever get. Also something like 16 premiership teams drawn in a row in the FA cup. You can have that luck if you want :)

I really want one of the weak 3 though, any of the top 5 could beat each other I think.

I think Robben or Ruud would have won the game for Real tonight, but alas that's football.

Extremely happy to see Schalke go through. A nice fan run club doing well is just wants needed in football these days.

PHB wrote: »
    any of the top 5 could beat each other I think..

Thats when it starts getting exciting, thats the real cup football. Predictions can go out the window because its all about how they play in 2 games... Im getting excited now! :p

I dont want any English team though... Hahahah.

I really want one of the weak 3 though, any of the top 5 could beat each other I think.

No offence PHB but thats balls, your there to win it so you want the best teams on the way. Man utd fans should be hoping for barca, they the best team left you could hope for.

Only sad fans want the easy way to the final, Utd in the fa Cup are proof, anytime i in manchester never once heard man utd fans say "bugger" at the fa cup draw, always "bring it on tbh" thats what you want. Play the best, beat the best, be the best.

/slaps PHB stop being a pussy.

kdjac

I don't see Roma posing any of the premiership sides much of a problem*.

* Roma will now draw Arsenal and beat them, to spite me

eZe^ wrote: »
    Thats when it starts getting exciting, thats the real cup football. Predictions can go out the window because its all about how they play in 2 games... Im getting excited now! :p

I dont want any English team though... Hahahah.
    If Barca had to face one of the English sides though, which would you want it to be?

No offence PHB but thats balls, your there to win it so you want the best teams on the way. Man utd fans should be hoping for barca, they the best team left you could hope for.

Only sad fans want the easy way to the final, Utd in the fa Cup are proof, anytime i in manchester never once heard man utd fans say "bugger" at the fa cup draw, always "bring it on tbh" thats what you want. Play the best, beat the best, be the best.

/slaps PHB stop being a pussy.

kdjac

**** that ****. Personal abuse, banned :)

Seriously, why would I want tough draws? I want to win the treble this season. An easy game in the CL would make that much more likely.
    Any of those top 5 teams can beat each other on the day I think, why would I want to play the best team? If we win the CL, after getting Fenerbache in the quarters, the winner Schalke vs. Roma, and then whoever in the final, I'l be happy with it. I'd like to beat the best teams on the way and win it. It would make it more special. But i'm willing to settle with just winning it.

I nearly had a ****ing heart attack in the Lyon game, can't take that sort of pressure. Once we get the draw, bring it on. Until then, I'll hope for an easy draw.

[p.s. I wanted Chelsea in the FA Cup draw, because the winner of that game will win the FA Cup, and we might as well get the game out of the way now, that way if we lose we can concentrate on the other cups. Instead we got the worst possible draw imo we could get, not Chelsea but not an easy match.]

If Barca had to face one of the English sides though, which would you want it to be?

I think about it, and I honestly cant decide.

-When Man Utd put teams to the sword, they put teams to the ****ing sword..

-Liverpool are perfectly set up with Rafa to expose our weakness' again added to his experience of Spanish teams with Valencia...

-Chelsea I think wouldnt do as well against Barca as they did last season, but again well set up to take advantage of Barca's weaknesses.

-Arsenal are the team most like Barca in the competition.

Id say if I had to choose one it'd be arsenal, be a cracking game too.

then Lyon in the CL when they were the hardest possible team we could ever get.

ha ha yea sure.... Lyon who had the worst defence of ALL the champions league last 16.
    Yeh, defo, like Villa then Arsenal in the FA Cup,

yea ok, thats a pretty tough draw to get this year. what about last year though? Portsmouth, Reading, and Boro and Watford amongst the scalps you claimed.

what i'm saying is that united seem to have good luck in CL draws. but maybe thats just in my head ;)

ha ha yea sure.... Lyon who had the worst defence of ALL the champions league last 16.

We could have drawn

Lyon
    Schalke
    Porto
    Fenerbache
    Olmpicanicas (no idea how to spell that)

still pissed off about that draw.

• Advertisement

We could have drawn

Lyon
    Schalke
    Porto
    Fenerbache
    Olmpicanicas (no idea how to spell that)

still pissed off about that draw.

and Celtic?

sure we'll see how accurate i am on the 14th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

. Pat Dolan ? :rolleyes:
    +1
    Nunu wrote: »
    Lua Lua with a camera giving behind the scenes footage of the first leg...it was different, I liked it.
    It was shít
    JæKæ wrote: »
    game over-vucinic looks excellent again
    That guy is going to make bits of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Arse, 4 english teams have 4 good managers with fookin millions to spend, with the money on offer in the PL 4 english semi finalists should be expected.

real and sevilla simply could not defend, both teams have excuses Navarro injured for Sevilla and Ramos left, Real are just not very good at defending. Barca winging it , they got the handiest draw and their superiority showed vs a poor team.

Inter are doomed, no way they will score 3 vs pool. Unless PL teams get each other i would expect an all english final. As Roma Fenerbache etc: certainly wont trouble them.

A good manager and money and having more of it then everyone else will always win, look at the Pls dormant years they couldnt compete with italian and spanish wages now they can and they getting into a dominating position.

kdjac

Absolutely agree. English clubs are coming back to the top of the cycle again. If, as Kjacl suggests, 2005 was the start of their apex, we have until 2020 before the cycle passes to another league (Germany?). I see an Arsenal - Manchester Utd draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. English clubs are coming back to the top of the cycle again. If, as Kjacl suggests, 2005 was the start of their apex, we have until 2020 before the cycle passes to another league (Germany?). I see an Arsenal - Manchester Utd draw.

He was quoting me :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Schalke keepers second save last night was top bloody notch; fantastic save

Shootout clip

He looks some player doesnt he

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote: »
    And he's only a Roma sub. Pizarro, Aquilani, De Rossi, Taddei, Mancini, Giuly, Vucinic, Totti... ahh I wish I was a Roma fan. Imagine Arsene Wenger working his magic on that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Setanta's coverage is woeful. Pat Dolan ? :rolleyes:

I actually like him, only pundit outside of RTE that doesn't bore me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Eamon Dunphy of Setanta Sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I could never take Dolan seriously after his Trapattoni rant saying he was past it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-uQaV5uyk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DesF wrote: »

I doubt he'll get the chance to be honest.

• Advertisement

Nicholas Cage went to see Real-Roma the other night. Calderon got him best seats, he got to meet the players, whole nine yards.
    Trouble was, it was just a guy pretending to be Nicholas Cage but unfortunately noone told that to Calderon....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200708/story/0,,2263211,00.html

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LOL

Maybe if I impersonate Bertie Ahern I'll be given the 1st class treatment he's given in Manchester! I've only got small pockets though, so I don't know if I could fit £8,000 in them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

DaveMcG wrote: »
    LOL

Maybe if I impersonate Bertie Ahern I'll be given the 1st class treatment he's given in Manchester! I've only got small pockets though, so I don't know if I could fit £8,000 in them :p

Yeah true, try that... brilliant!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

eZe^ wrote: »
    Nicholas Cage went to see Real-Roma the other night. Calderon got him best seats, he got to meet the players, whole nine yards.
    Trouble was, it was just a guy pretending to be Nicholas Cage but unfortunately noone told that to Calderon....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200708/story/0,,2263211,00.html

Genius.

I wqs getting 'deja-vu' reading that and then I realised that guy has done this before!
    It was at a Roma home game years ago (can't find it online anywhere)....and he really is a dead ringer for Cage!

Advertisement