Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising wrong product

Options
  • 03-03-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

This is a question that I have been meaning to ask for quite sometime now. Just say for example, I go into a shop to buy a apple ipod and they have a price with a description underneath the product. But the actual description is not the product. The ipod was the Itouch and the ticket undernaeth it was for the 8gb nano.

Where does the consumer stand on this? And if the price of an item is actually wrong, and the ticket information matches, can the consumer demand to get it for the cheaper price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

As far as i know the poster would be an "invitation to treat" even if it was messed up. If they sold it to you after you asking for the offer advertised then that would be false advertising, but you would have to buy the product. In the end they would have to refund the product or match the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

matchthis wrote: »
    As far as i know the poster would be an "invitation to treat" even if it was messed up. If they sold it to you after you asking for the offer advertised then that would be false advertising, but you would have to buy the product. In the end they would have to refund the product or match the offer

What do you mean by "invitation to treat"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

The price you pay is the price that comes up on the till. The price on a shelf may appear to be a contractual but in reality it isnt, if a shop mistakenly displays a good for sale at a very low price it is not obliged to sell it for that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

the fifth paragraph here explains it quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    What do you mean by "invitation to treat"?

It's an invitation for you to make an offer, which normally would be the price stated, the seller doesn't have to accept this offer if it is different to what it's coming through at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leeza

When a good is advertised for a certin price it is up to the consumer to ask any relevant questions before buying the product. If the price is incorrect the consumer can then either except the price being offered for the product or reject the product and seek to buy the goods elsewhere, they can not force the business to sell it at the incorrect price, but it is somthing they can report to the National Consumer Agency.

Advertisement