Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital callers and magpies & greycrows

• 03-03-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Need a clarification on this. I know using a digital caller is illegal on ducks etc, how is the law on magpies and greycrows? Read the statute book but I'm not the best with legalese.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

My understanding is that, it is illegal to use electronic callers for calling game, but they can be used on vermin such as hoodies and magpies without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

johngalway wrote: »
    Need a clarification on this. I know using a digital caller is illegal on ducks etc, how is the law on magpies and greycrows? Read the statute book but I'm not the best with legalese.
    perfectly legal once used on vermin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cheers fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Thats good cause im using the u caller for both mags and greys!
    An my numbers have tripled because of it!
    Reccomended to anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thats good cause im using the u caller for both mags and greys!
    An my numbers have tripled because of it!
    Reccomended to anyone!

Are you using decoys as well??? or just the caller. I tend to use larsen traps havn't called them in any tips??

• Advertisement

No id use the odd trap the old fashioned way!
    And wait with the shotgun with the caller!
    Much more sucessful! Good camo is needed or hide well!
    The mags are harder to get but the crows just keep on coming!
    I was amazed the first time because the greys arround my area are spooked so easily!
    With the mags i use two decoys and leave them 40-50 yrds away from me, then call and use either 22lr or shotgun! It works every time i find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

christ almighty lads im jealous. i havnt had a chance to get out since the end of the season so i havnt. Im putting my work into my dog a lot so im sacraficing decoying magpies and greys! i even invested in the lockvogel caller at xmas for this breeding season. Damn. i may just go on saturday and work the dog on sunday!

I was out on saturday with the dog and the gun and shot a rook coming over my head. The poor bugger landed in the river and i had to fire a second shot to make the kill. The reason why i fired is to get the dog excited and i hoped she would follow into the river after it. To make a long story short i felt bad about it then. What harm do Rooks really do? Not a whole lot i imagine. Im not shooting any of them anymore i dont think. But god love those magpies and hoodies when they come over my head. Im also building a little bird house for my back garden so i'l have the larsen trap out now over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neilsbreak

Lads,

Ive been told that its now illegal to use electrical recording equipment to 'hunt' any WILD bird or WILD animal (ie including unprotected animals and birds). This was changed in the Amendment Act. Another little known one is, its illegal to hunt a wild animal (eg fox) from a mechanised vehicle whether its moving or stationary!!!! Anybody able to confirm this from the legal stuff? Im just going on what somebody told me. Over to the Rangers to advise I suppose.:confused:

stevoman wrote: »
    christ almighty lads im jealous. i havnt had a chance to get out since the end of the season so i havnt. Im putting my work into my dog a lot so im sacraficing decoying magpies and greys! i even invested in the lockvogel caller at xmas for this breeding season. Damn. i may just go on saturday and work the dog on sunday!

I was out on saturday with the dog and the gun and shot a rook coming over my head. The poor bugger landed in the river and i had to fire a second shot to make the kill. The reason why i fired is to get the dog excited and i hoped she would follow into the river after it. To make a long story short i felt bad about it then. What harm do Rooks really do? Not a whole lot i imagine. Im not shooting any of them anymore i dont think. But god love those magpies and hoodies when they come over my head. Im also building a little bird house for my back garden so i'l have the larsen trap out now over the next few weeks.

Dont feel sorry for shooting the rook!
    They do as much damage to crops and nesting birds as the mags!
    And theres no control on there numbers!
    Shoot at every chance you get!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Dont feel sorry for shooting the rook!
    They do as much damage to crops and nesting birds as the mags!
    And theres no control on there numbers!
    Shoot at every chance you get!:D

I didnt realise they did damage to nesting birds. i Presumed that they only ate carrion and worms, insects etc.

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    I didnt realise they did damage to nesting birds. i Presumed that they only ate carrion and worms, insects etc.

Yep iv seen them at it!
    They eat the eggs the same as mags!
    they watch to find the nest and when its vacant they steal the eggs!
    Mostly the older ones;)

Advertisement