Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sql database?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering can someone tell me the steps in how to set up a new databse within microsoft sql server management studio express?

When im in college all I do is connect to a server and then it shows my student number which is my database and then i can create new tables,stored procedures new schemas all that sort of thing.

I downloaded it for my laptop so I can practice database but ive only 4 databses a master,model,msdb and tempdb.

How do i just create one so i can practice with creating all the above sort of stuff? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right-click on the "Databases" folder and choose "New Database..." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If your using SQL Express I found theres one download which doesn't give you the option. Theres another one that does. I think it was "MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION WITH ADVANCED SERVICES"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What you need for managing SQL Server Express is SQL Server Management Studio Express which you can download seperately if needed, or as you say I think it comes as part of the advanced services bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

There are tutorials online, i only downloaded it myself on sunday and using the tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

when i right click and choose new database i get this error message?

Create failed for Database 'test'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 262)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dzy

I'm not sure but I think the user you are using to create the database doesn't have enough permissions to create a database. I may be wrong but there is something about the error message that makes me think you don't have enough permissions. Try checking the permissions granted to the user that you are using.

dzy wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think the user you are using to create the database doesn't have enough permissions to create a database. I may be wrong but there is something about the error message that makes me think you don't have enough permissions. Try checking the permissions granted to the user that you are using.

where do i go to check the permissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are, you're logging in with a given username and password?

When you connect, do you choose Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication to login?

Is you're using Windows Authentication, does your account have administrator privilidges on the computer?

seamus wrote: »
    Chances are, you're logging in with a given username and password?

When you connect, do you choose Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication to login?

Is you're using Windows Authentication, does your account have administrator privilidges on the computer?

i choose the windows authentication because i dont know what the password is for the sql login.

My account is the administrator aswell....

Advertisement