Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

daughter a bit overweight, advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The parenting forum charter states:
    REMEMBER that parenting is a subject which is extremely close to people's hearts, and try not to troll or flame.

Any further outbursts of that nature will result in you being banned from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Phantom

Sorry, was having a bad morning, didnt mean to be so arrogant.

Still disagree though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

thanks phantom, your advice was so usefull,

loop the loop how did the rest of the holidays treat you?, we had great fun on top of crashing the bike, we got a big bucket of treasure on a nature walk which fell all around the boot of the car, got a red face at jungle maze, had few play dates, went to grannys and got spoilt rotten and rounded it all off freezing my behind off down the gaa field on friday, must remember to get big wolly hat and gloves, and leg warmers, and thermos flask.

Is ds still "missing", or has it reclaimed its pride of place. Pity we didnt get better weather, i had wanted to go for walk on beach today, but thought better of it when we were pelted by hailstones. still april might be better,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

She's nearing the age where girls start to get crazy into horses. If there's a nice local stables, maybe you could get her involved?

You're right to keep an eye on her if she's getting a bit fat - but it may just be the way kids grow: out, up, then out, up, then out, up. Lots of kids get fat before sudden growth spurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

thanks phantom, your advice was so usefull,

loop the loop how did the rest of the holidays treat you?, we had great fun on top of crashing the bike, we got a big bucket of treasure on a nature walk which fell all around the boot of the car, got a red face at jungle maze, had few play dates, went to grannys and got spoilt rotten and rounded it all off freezing my behind off down the gaa field on friday, must remember to get big wolly hat and gloves, and leg warmers, and thermos flask.

Is ds still "missing", or has it reclaimed its pride of place. Pity we didnt get better weather, i had wanted to go for walk on beach today, but thought better of it when we were pelted by hailstones. still april might be better,

Uh huh, still cant find that rotten little DS anywhere, so its all good. Lots of walking and swimming and cycling.. Although, have to be honest, coming back from spain last yr, flight was delayed 6 hrs and have to say if she hadnt got that beautiful little nintendo with her with her I would have exploded.. entertained her for hours...(such a bloody hyprocite - I know!!)

You had lots of fun by the sounds of it. Back to school now eh..

Phantom, your attack was unfair there. You have the right to voice your opinion but why so viciously?? The weight issue may not seem a problem to you, and I agree that society has become obsessed with it but OP is not making an issue of this with her daughter, just looking for some 'helpful' advice from other parents who have maybe experienced this with their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

the child is 10 lbs overweight!!!!..... you make me sick.

For Gods sake she is only 7. no doubt she will spend most of her life thinking about her weight and appearance in a society that demands unrealistic perfection, you could at least give her a flippin childhood.

Cop on you frickin nazi

Also just like to make this point. I was very overweight as a child and was allowed eat what I like. The attitude was 'ah she loves her grub' and its only 'puppy fat', she will loose it all, have another mars bar love. I never lost it when I grew up, how could I have with the amt of crap I was eating. Went to weight watchers in my teens and lost 5 stone and life became very good for me.

My Point being, I would have loved if my family had thought to maybe talk to me about what I was doing to my body and educated me a little about food. I think the OP here is just concerned that maybe her daughter may start to get bigger and is trying to nip it in the bud before it happens - believe me its no fun being the FAT KID in school..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

lauratkd wrote: »
    Buy a Wii!!! I sweated a lot playing tennis on it last night ;);):D

I was going to suggest the same, or a dance mat for the playstation, great fun and great exercise.

Or failing that a good old walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 curly shirley

I wouldn't worry bout it too much. My daughter is 6 and she weighs a little over this. She also loves doing puzzles, colouring etc. She is far more intelligent than her other cousins (who are same age) because she takes in a lot more when reading and listening to t.v etc.... but they are more ahead of her when it comes to outside play. It will balance out eventually. I take her walking every day and make it fun (as she used complain a lot) make up songs, skip, play I spy, name all the colours you can see etc. If you take their mind off what they are doing you will get more out of them. Walk a neighbour's dog if you don't have one, it works wonders! My daughter runs with the dog without realising it.
    I would take her to a green near by and play football. Even if you don't go out a lot make an obstacle course in the sitting room or kitchen. Climbing over cushions piled up, crawling under chairs, jumping over pillows, dancing to music etc.................

Advertisement