Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fail NCT for oil leak??

Options
  • 03-03-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi, i was wondering if anybody know, will a car would fail NCT if it has oil leak?? thanks

Comments

I heard that it depended on the rate of the leak!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

to be honest its looks all oily but not driping tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

All of the individual tests are laid out in the 'National Car Test (NCT) Manual 2004 you can get it here http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was talking to one of the local testers and he said he would only fail if the oil was clearly dripping off.

i hope so, it should be fine. i m waiting for the vag-com cable . after i check it, i will book for nct. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Where is it leaking oil from?

i dont have a clue where the leak is. it is everywhere under the engine bay. but mostly in the center where is the oil pan is. and on th front of passanger side wheel. there is a black box. what is it for?

joy123 wrote: »
    there is a black box. what is it for?
    Flight recorder?

Honestly you've given so little info that it might as well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

He's gonna use VAG com on it so that narrows it down!

land9 wrote: »
    He's gonna use VAG com on it so that narrows it down!
    vag-com cant narrows down :Das i said will test for any other fault i dont know yet. sucker born every second:D do some english lesson will ya???

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Flight recorder?

Honestly you've given so little info that it might as well be.

sorry for short information. i really dont know about car that much. what i m gonna do is post some pic. that might help.
    anyway what u mean by flight recorder?? what it does?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

if the engine is filthy then you can fail since they cant see through the dirt to look for leaks and stuff, i had that problem a few months ago but just give the engine a jood power hosing before going into te test and you'll be grand.,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If its not dripping it will pass but if its covered in oil they won't do the nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Powerwash the underneath the night before the test!!;)

thanks folks, i m gonna do it one today to see how clean they get and try to see if i can found out where is the leak.

hi, i m driving a 98 passat 1.9tdi. just bought the car. check the pic if u can tell me by the pic where is the oil leak from?? its really badly dripping. the pic showing below is 10 hour after i power wash the underneath the engine. its dripping while the car running or park.
    stki0336ew9.th.jpg
    its looks like the leak probably the back of the oil pan.
    stki0337pp1.th.jpg
    stki0338zf7.th.jpg
    stki0339kg8.th.jpg
    stki0340xn3.th.jpg
    stki0341zn9.th.jpg

:screwy:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sump seal?? Unlikely methinks. Oil filter assembly seal? You're probably better off cleaning it all down and seeing where it pops up again.

You're gonna need to get some degreaser and completely degrease that mess. Only when it's all clean will you be able to see where it's coming from.

ya i m gonna wash with digreaser again on the weekend and see if i can point out where is it. thanks

Advertisement