Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep Cherokee 2.5td

Options
  • 03-03-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Anyone any opinions on them!? Reliability, and fuel economy (daily commute of 80 miles) would be the most important - I was looking at the 95/96 range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in one of these a few years back and didn't like it. It felt very agricultural, the engine was very noisy and the cabin is basic. It really didn't change much from the machine sold in the 1980s. Not my cup of tea at all.

But I guess it really depends on what you are using it for. I would guess that it was entended to be a work horse rather than one of these modern day SUV types so if it is spending most of its time off road in muddy fields then it may well tick all the right boxes.

As an on the road SUV though I would look somewhere else to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

SHOITE BOX.........end of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It would be taking me between Sligo and Ballina daily - I was in the cousins jeep (newer and petrol) and it was one of the most comfortable vehicles I was ever in!
    I'm torn between this and a 525tds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

there american and when did americans ever make good cars

even the new cherokke is crap , the grand cherrokke is better but i still dont like it , motoring journalists always give it a decent enough rating or am i just reading the kind of motoring journalists who give every car a good ratting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

Had a 96 Cherokee 2.5 td and yes they're fairly agricultural, if you're doing any driving in traffic it'll break your heart. Just try 4 or 5 three point turns if you're test driving one. Putting mine in reverse used to almost dislocate my elbow!

Watch out particularly for the head gasket on high milage examples, they are known to crack (frequently) and allow water into the expansion tank. Apparently its more economical to replace the engine if this happens. Happened me after 6 months. Had to scrap it.

The engine is made by VM Mottori (Italy) originally designed as a water pump. It wasn't offered as an option in the US, although seems to be well regarded by enthusiasts.
    After owning one I'd have to say they're too heavy duty for 95% of drivers and there's a hell of a lot of maintenance involved if you do it by the book (power steering system, transfer case lubrication, rear axle lubrication, brakes).

If you're set on one I'd bite the bullet and bring it to a main dealer for a full check before buying.

• Advertisement

Eh, I'm totally off the idea of buying one now!

Think I'll stick with the blue and white badge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Stick with the Munich Motorway Muncher........you'll not be dissappointed......and get a 530D ,not a 525.

I was just gonna buy a cheap yoke for the time being - looking at a 530d import after july though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

You may not get any benefit by waiting for July before importing: the new rates only apply to cars originally registered in the original country after july. So if you import a 2006 530d you will still pay 1290 euro tax a year.

I thought it was imported cars as well?!

I haven't been paying attention to the vrt crack to be honest - didn't think it'd affect me:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Traumadoc wrote: »
    You may not get any benefit by waiting for July before importing: the new rates only apply to cars originally registered in the original country after july. So if you import a 2006 530d you will still pay 1290 euro tax a year.
    Not true, they apply to cars (new or previously registered abroad) that are first registered here after July.

So bottom line is I'll save on vrt but not on road tax?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

There is a lot of confusion out there but to protect people who bought low emission cars from a collapse in 2nd hand values the road tax will be based on cc for cars originally registered wherever prior to 2008, unless the emissions are high ( i dnt know the figure) where you will pay 2000 euro - it seems to be a prize F***up of a system.

Advertisement