Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the postman know where I live?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Stupid question?

I have just purchased a new build which has simply been known as "the bungalow" and the village name.

It's not on a road (or possibly an posts radar!) so how do I go about registering a new name and letting an post know about it so i can receive my junk mail?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Send a letter to yourself and let them use their psysic powers to find you.
    Or do as I did, stop the local postman and introduce yourself.
    Don't forget to post your name and address here www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yeah, meet the local posty and tell him. Also call the Local Post office too. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,091 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this would be better off in the accommodation & property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do talk tot he post office / postman, but can you come up with a name / number for the property? It might also be useful to get on the register of electors and inform the local emergency services.
    blindman wrote: »
    Don't forget to post your name and address here www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7.
    Behave! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Yep, introduce yourself to postie himself ... bear in mind if you write a letter to your local sorting office, they will have your name registered to that address for letters from the TV licence inspectors! (not that I'm advocating sponging!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not trying to be smart, but if you have just built a house in a small village (i'm assuming that you're not from there if the postman doesn't already know you), chances are that most people in the area have been speculating about who has built the house and that the postman already knows who you are!:)

I found this when i bought my house in a small town and when the postman had a parcel for me, he delivered it to my workplace as I wasn't home. Postman know everything! He's probably noticed the new house being built in the townland and when he gets an envelope with your name on it, he'll probably try your house as he knows everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Rhinos13 wrote: »
    Stupid question?

I have just purchased a new build which has simply been known as "the bungalow" and the village name.

It's not on a road (or possibly an posts radar!) so how do I go about registering a new name and letting an post know about it so i can receive my junk mail?

:confused:

Drop into the local post office and tell them who you are and where you live.

They'll dig out a map, put an 'X' where your house is and write your name bedside it.

Bizzarly enough, postal service to one off houses without numbers or even street names is far more reliable than urban post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rainbowtrout is right. :)
    Yep, the postman already knows who you are, what car you drive, your job and he'll soon know your childrens names and ages (if any).

And if you do get a new name for your house don't call it <village name> house/manor. People will think you are trying to be landed gentry.

Word to the wise, the rural area I'm from it's the done thing to give the postman a Christmas card and €20 every year.
    Definitly a rural thing, ask your neighbors if it's done there. Just a way of saying thanks, it must all add up to quite a sum

Advertisement