Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista and the home network

Options
  • 03-03-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys, I hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have two PCs, one Vista and the other XP.

Each of them have independant wireless access to the internet.

They are connected via a crossover cable so I can share files.

My problem is that I think the Vista PC is trying to use the internet by going through the crossover cable and using the XP machines internet connection. I need to know a couple of things.

1. Can I remove the wired connection and still share files through the wireless LAN?

2. Or, can I force Vista to use it's own wireless card for the internet and to only use the wired connection for files?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

conorgriff wrote: »
    Hi guys, I hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have two PCs, one Vista and the other XP.

Each of them have independant wireless access to the internet.

They are connected via a crossover cable so I can share files.

My problem is that I think the Vista PC is trying to use the internet by going through the crossover cable and using the XP machines internet connection. I need to know a couple of things.

1. Can I remove the wired connection and still share files through the wireless LAN?

2. Or, can I force Vista to use it's own wireless card for the internet and to only use the wired connection for files?

Go to manage network connections from the network and sharing centre. Once there press the ALT key to show the menu, choose advanced and advanced settings. You can set the order for the network connections there.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Spear wrote: »
    Go to manage network connections from the network and sharing centre. Once there press the ALT key to show the menu, choose advanced and advanced settings. You can set the order for the network connections there.

Legend! But Wireless was already listed first. Might be due to me trying to fix it last night. Haven't noticed it doing it today so maybe it was already fixed but good tip nonetheless, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Maybe you know the answer to my other question also...
    Can I remove the wired connection and still share files through the wireless LAN?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

conorgriff wrote: »
    Maybe you know the answer to my other question also...
    Can I remove the wired connection and still share files through the wireless LAN?

Of course, the physical component of a network is a separate layer from other aspects of the network, the file sharing is in no way dependent upon the medium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_stack

Advertisement