Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo-editing question from a novice - Round 2

Options
  • 03-03-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Ok i've got another question.

I'm trying to figure out how to warp graphics into different shapes.

Say I have a text that i wish to put onto a t-shirt in a picture that I need to warp into a different shape to make it look more realistic, how the hell would I do that.

ps i'm using paint.net...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

What is it with this forum going quiet all of a sudden?

Or is this the way it is usually?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its usually a bit quiet here. People have work to do!

I'm not too familiar with Paint.net. What kind of distortion are you talking about?
    Any examples?

There are lots of different ways to mess with distortions.
    There's displacement mapping, free transform (skew stretch etc) and liquidation to name a few. In Photoshop for example these are achieved in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve which I suspect is why you haven't had too many replies. is it just the text you are trying to distort or what? and I don't get what you mean by more "realistic"? in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

gufcfan wrote: »
    What is it with this forum going quiet all of a sudden?

Or is this the way it is usually?

Well for me I'm up to my neck at the moment and I've no paint.net experience ... I know how to do it pretty handily with photoshop but that isn't really much help to you.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »

I have no idea what you meant by that.

I'm not talking about text specifically.

I mean any shape being warped out of shape.

Can you draw an axis on a selection and pull it out of shape through that, if that makes any sense at all at al.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Have a look through the different effects for a warp effect. I've never used paint.NET so I don't know if it can do it.

Looks like this in Corel Photopaint:

warp1lj1.jpg

and this in GIMP:

warp2rz2.jpg

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for...

NotMe wrote: »
    If that's the kind of thing you're looking for...

I'll have a look now to see if I can find any feature like that. Cheers

Distressed text is basically scratched dirty text that looks like its been out in the elements.

This should help you with warping also
    http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/RotateZoom.html

This might help explain what I need...

stretch.jpg

• Advertisement

AFAIK you can't do that easily in paint.net without finding a plugin. That kind of warp tool only arrived in photoshop in CS2. You can do something similar with a liquify tool with a large brush like what NotMe posted.

Here is what it looks like in Photoshop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0j6X455vJc

Iwarp for the GIMP seems to be able to do that, maybe consider using it also?

I think now that I have a basic grasp of what is going on in graphics editing, an I do mean BASIC, maybe I should just move over to GIMP, as it seems to be the OS version of Photoshop, only with different names for features.

I'll give it a try in gimp now that I have a clue what i'm doing...

The GIMP is indeed the open source version of Photoshop. I think people here are generally more familiar with both it and PS so you should also have a wider source of help!

Just thought i'd let you lot know that I managed to solve my problems, and thanks for all yeer advice!

Advertisement