Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a staircase

Options
  • 03-03-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi there, I am building at the moment and have to find someone to make me a staircase. Trouble is, i don't like wood, or carpet covered wood, or even painted wood! But i need a closed staircase because i need the wall this is going to create to attach my future plasma screen and also i need to be able to drill into the risers to fit some LED ligths on every few risers so basically, i'm stuck with wood:( unless anyone has any other suggestion?
    I also would like the banister to be only glass, i would even like to have no stainless at all in it, just the glass sheet. Is that even possible and by that i mean do the building regs frown upon it?
    I was wondering if it would be possible to have wooden risers and to use wood for the overall carcass of the staircase but then have stone or polished concrete treads. Would anyone know anyone who would do something like that? Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

You could have the staircase made from cast concrete... this could be coloured and polished for a unique staircase. More or less everything is your choice, including the surface texture and the colour... the LEDs could also be incorporated (by making a suitable mould).

I don't imagine many companies would do this or that it would be cheap, however it is possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Hi we have worked on projects like this for the commercial sector and private sector

With a Metal stairs construction you can apply any finish desired to threads,risers and stringer using marble, granite, rubber, timber, tile, mosaic tile, laminated glass and mirror, deco metals and textured metals coloured plastics and leathers

Balustrading in toughened glass sandwiched between metal stair stringers,you can have a combination of balustrading materials once it’s within code for its application
    Handrails in chrome, timber, leathers or a mix of materials

If you’re completing commissioning a stairs to be built all applied loading of decorative materials and finishes weights must be calculated well before construction on the stairs starts

Regards jbcford

Advertisement