Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new irish show & podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Hey...ye read out my questions...thanks

All ye need to do is say my surname properly next time haha

Electronic vagina :D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Fair play on the Radio there Danny. This same old GTA Witch-Hunt is getting very fking old - every time they make a release it happens.

I remember more than 10 years ago bollocking a mother out of it in my local Xtravision for attempting to buy her 10 year old GTA 2 and being met with major hostility until the staff member said "there's no way I'm selling you this game madame, I'd loose my job."

Children are the responsibility of their parents. If parents have done such a bad job of raising a kid that they can't, as an adult, make the distinction between reality and games, then lets happily remove this pond scum on the top of the human gene-pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

I love mayor Denis...and the podcast only found it as a result of Dannys incessant site promoting on gamespot.com lol.but none the less i was glad to find it and its not all look at me im a gamer and I know loads about fecking BLA...it caters for all levels to be fair. And i like the damn babbling..often funny.

now that i have blown sufficient smoke...any chance of a shout out??

Curls is the name by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Well I asked a question a few weeks ago and the lads were happy to answer it and mention me so I'd assume the same will happen if you ask something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Cosmonaut

THere is NO WAY Curls got a shout-out at near the end of the show!

and thanks Kharn. It happens all too often im sure, as Dave said in the podcast a few weeks ago, many people still see games as an extension of toys.

• Advertisement

Cosmonaut wrote: »
    as Dave said in the podcast a few weeks ago, many people still see games as an extension of toys.

Ya....Wise up and F*ck off !!!! :p:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Top notch stuff again guys!

A thoroughly agreeable way to spend an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mayordenis wrote: »
    bang on with that it ****in frustrates me when games are reviewed and there isnt at least some sort of mention of how it performs on all platforms, between us we have to pretty healthy pc's but in truth theres gamers here with better setups, and a stupid problem over getting our equipment for the actual show has left us out of pocket so a nice big gaming pc rig is going to take a while to fund :(

You don't need a nice big rig.
    Some people have em. Most people have what they can afford, which is a mid-range or second-hand high-end GPU because $800 is fscking stupid money to pay for entertainment silicon.

Great show again guys. Keep up the good work.

I have a question for the next podcast: In your minds, has there been a perfect game made? Not necessarily the best, just a perfect all-round experience. For example, imo, Metal Gear Solid, the PS1 version was pure gaming nirvana for me. People may point out the camera and the cutscenes as bad points but I loved every bit of it!

btw, I expect this will be purely subjective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

how many downloads have you had ? there's no advertisements on your site how are you gonna make money ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

MooseJam wrote: »
    there's no advertisements on your site how are you gonna make money ?

They have a similar business model to the Underpant Gnomes.

Step 1, though, is 'Get clicks'.

EDIT: Love the show guys, keep up the good work, wise up, f**k off! ;)

how many downloads have you had ? there's no advertisements on your site how are you gonna make money?

As FNZ says were taking things slowly and getting the clicks first. Ive run many websites before and you can get bogged down in financials very quickly. The idea of the site is to create a a game site that is totally independant of publishers cashflow but still has intellegent (podcast) and entertaining (the show) debate and content about games. Myself and Denis have started full-time jobs with an aid to funding the site.

The beauty of the internet is your idea is good, it doesnt matter how much money is behind it. We'll worry about money further down the road.

Thanks again for the kind words everybody , i weve learned a lot since starting the podcast and we hope to refine and restructure the podcast continually.

EDIT:
    Sorry, you asked about downloads. Each new podcast gets between 100-150 downloads within its first 2 weeks, with 80 or so of those coming from initial 2/3 iTunes downloads. Weve found however that the earler podcasts are being downloaded after people check out the new content, which is a good sign. That means that some of the older podcasts have download figures of over 300. Roughly 80% of people who click to stream the podcast from our own server listen to it fully which is also good news.

We suspect that if the show proved to catch audience, that the podcast subscriptions will highten. Also, the only sites weve promoted the podcast on are Gamespot, Boards and a few Irish game communities (IGN.ie & clan sites). Referralls from these sites are so important, so once i get down to Cork im gonna concentrate on these areas.

Whats exciting is that ive recieved encouraging emails from high level staff reviewers of various games websites. Not that theyre oppinions are more important than us gamers, but its nice to know it appeals to a broad audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say im really enjoying the show. I've listened to most of them in the last few days and although i really wasnt expecting much they are really decent!

Have you thought about sending a few of the podcasts to some of the smaller radio stations, you never know someone might let you on :p Might get your name out there a bit?

Keep up the good work anyways

EDIT: By the way, just listening to "Podcast - 27th April 2008" : You can flash the firmware of the xbox360 dvd drive without soldering, and there is no way to chip a PS3 yet! :)

Have you thought about sending a few of the podcasts to some of the smaller radio stations, you never know someone might let you on :p Might get your name out there a bit?

Thanks for the words man. As for radio, sort of, but it would have to be a different format i think. Leaner and more factual than exploritory. I worked in radio for 5 years until last week, and know that theres an audience for a diluted version of it somwhere, so who knows.

Gotta concentrate on building the audience of CitizenGame before we start whoring ourselves out to stations. We like cursing too much anyway :D

Whens the first of the video shows being released???

My moving and work over the past few weeks has pushed it back, but ASAP basically. Our 2nd show is going to be from the Blizzard Invitational in Paris, so we need show 1 to be out before that with some breathing room.

When we know, youll know, but thanks for the interest. Its not going up untill we know its gettin Kotaku frontpage love lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

Cosmonaut wrote: »
    THere is NO WAY Curls got a shout-out at near the end of the show!

Danny your so harsh!! ok to be fair i am a glory hunter..I WANT IT ALL...havent gotten a chance to listen to the more recent ones was there a GTA review done...guess there is one way to find out

Im having podcast withdrawl symptoms today

ciano1 wrote: »
    Im having podcast withdrawl symptoms today

I know the feeling. Having cold sweats atm. Where's the hiss-covered Windows Sound Recorder podcast we were promised!?

Yea my bad folks. Deno was all readied up for it, but i just moved down and underestimated the amount of cardboard boxes that needed unloading and furniture that needed building. There is most definetly a podcast next week folks, and the rush is on to get the script for epsiode 1 of the show finalised.

Apologies to all you audio junkies, RL got in the way :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

WE WANT PODCAST WE WANT PODCAST WE WANT PODCAST!!!!!! :pac:

Just had a quick thought there upon finishing that sentence that ended by the youtube logo in the thingy above. Why not upload the podcasts to YouTube with just your logo as the video? Would get more coverage and you can add in as many tags for it as you like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Really sorry guys and hope it won't put anyone off in the future, Kinetic^ thats definately a good idea and yea with the traffic on that site it's bound to drastically increase coverage, so yea good idea, i think we're always planning on putting at least parts of the actual video show on the youtube - with maybe a Citizengame.co.uk for more. . . . thing after the 7/8 minutes are up.
    we both should have pretty good connections aswell now which should speed everything up you'd be suprised how long the uploads took on dannys last connection - what a nub like.

Kinetic - great idea, shall do that for this weeks cast methinks. And yes as deno said were uploading trailers and snipets for the show to youtube.

Just a quick message to say this weeks cast shall be recorded tomorrow as its a bank holiday weekend and jesus created those so we could rest and stuff. Also deno went home for the long weekend.

Podcast link broken methinks :mad:

Fixed now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

First time listener; started with the previous 'cast.

Trés good guys; keep it up!

ssssssssssssssssssss...nice podcast...sssssssssssssssssssssss

ssssssssssssssssssss...good effort this week...ssssssssssssssssssssssss

ssssssssssssssssssss...can't wait for the next one...ssssssssssssssssssssssss

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

danny stop coughing into the microphone - you're blowing the ears off me lol!

great podcast man :)

well done on the radio for putting the woman against the GTA drink driving into her place...feckin eedjit...

Did ye find a new studio to record yet??

Ah weal....at least ur not reduced to recording it on a phone :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry guys I can't hear you over all the background hisssssssssss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm quite enjoying these podcasts guys, keep up the good work.

Is there no way of streaming them rather than having to download them though?

Advertisement