Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Trading

Options
  • 04-03-2008 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

Rightio, I am here to post this out of what I precieve to be total greed in today's Ireland. Sunday Trading.

I work in a electrical shop and it trades every Sunday 2pm to 6pm. I have no problem with the management about opening Sunday, but I do with the greedy customers who support the Sunday trading regieme.

I work every Saturday, and have to work every second or third Sunday. My time with my family is very restricted. So, when you are bored stiff of a Sunday and decide to visit the shops to pass some time - think of how many people you are keeping from spending time with their kids growing up...

What the hell do people want in looking at washing machines, tumble dryers et all of a sunday, are yea really that Sad? Why not go visit friends, relatives, elderly neighbours? Your actions are destroying family life.

Rant over.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What about all the people working 9-5's, spending 2 hours a day communting and only just making it in the door to see their kids before they go to bed for the night? Only to get up on a Saturday morning and bring them to their football or GAA game and try to spend some quality time with them afterward... It's not like they've a bucket load of time to go shopping either!!

One could argue that these actions are preserving family life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Get off your box OP. If you dont like it, change to a job where you dotn have to work wekkends or even just Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I thought it was pretty good for Des Kellys to advertise that they were closing on sundays to allow family staff time.

Anyway as for the OP, how about insisting while you are at it that no-one get sick on sundays so that the other half doesn't have to work as a nurse too and get more family time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,441 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But I have no friends, and my fmaily kicked me out ages ago. looking at washing machines is all I have.

You're not just selling stuff, you're providing an essential service there!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hanley wrote: »
    What about all the people working 9-5's, spending 2 hours a day communting and only just making it in the door to see their kids before they go to bed for the night? Only to get up on a Saturday morning and bring them to their football or GAA game and try to spend some quality time with them afterward... It's not like they've a bucket load of time to go shopping either!!

One could argue that these actions are preserving family life!!

Why not spend that quality time all day Sunday instead? Bring them to the games Saturday morning, do your shopping Saturday afternoon then have sunday completely free.

I disagree with Sunday trading, especially now that I've seen the benefits of it over here. Sunday is a proper family day, everyone goes out together, brings a picnic, etc.

Sunday trading smacks of greed but people will wander aimlessly around shopping centres buying stuff they don't need so there's no reason for places to close. A lot of people go shopping on a Sunday as there's pretty much feck all else to do if it's pissin rain outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

that's smart, blame the punters and not the owners. get a life (or a better yet, a job that doesn't require you to work on sundays)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

DOS wrote: »

I work every Saturday, and have to work every second or third Sunday. My time with my family is very restricted. So, when you are bored stiff of a Sunday and decide to visit the shops to pass some time - think of how many people you are keeping from spending time with their kids growing up...

What the hell do people want in looking at washing machines, tumble dryers et all of a sunday, are yea really that Sad? Why not go visit friends, relatives, elderly neighbours? Your actions are destroying family life.

Rant over.

Eh, maybe people that work long hours all week with long commutes need some time at the weekend to go and buy stuff? As well as fitting in everything else they need to do at weekends?

I'm sorry it doesn't suit you, but it does suit many other people. If you think your job is destroying your family life you should definitely bve looking to work somewhere else.

How is this a consumer issue anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DOS wrote: »
    I work in a electrical shop and it trades every Sunday 2pm to 6pm. I have no problem with the management about opening Sunday, but I do with the greedy customers who support the Sunday trading regieme.
    So it's wrong for me to browse or shop on a Sunday, one of only two days in the week where I get a chance to do this, but it's perfectly OK for the owners to open their shop and for you to work in it. Hypocrite.
    Oh boo hoo. Won't somebody please think of the children! What about people who bring their kids with them while shopping, as most would do on Sunday?

What are you doing selling these items on Sunday? Why aren't you out visiting friends, relatives, etc? It must be lonely up there is it? As I said, hypocrite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I get the distinct feeling the vast majority of people who are berating the OP have never had to work a Sunday in retail. there's something extra vacuous and greedy about the shoppers you get in.
    I know exactly what the OP is saying, and yes I think Sunday trading should be restricted.

Or perhaps some law enforced for all people who work Sundays with young families, etc.

However I think this is prob more of a humanities thing.

sweetie wrote: »
    that's smart, blame the punters and not the owners. get a life (or a better yet, a job that doesn't require you to work on sundays)

No need for the aggressive tone. Ever had to work EVERY Sunday? I have and it's no fun.

Some people can't afford to just up and leave a job if they have a family to support. They may have two or three weeks without pay while going through the process ofg etting another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I used to work Sunday's in retail but I still support people's rights to shop on a Sunday.

At the time I was in school and the only the days I was able to work were Saturday and Sunday-without Sunday I would have lost half of my wages. I disliked doing it but it had to be done. We worked 8-2 two Sundays out of 3. The other Sunday you were in 8-7.

But for all the people who work 9-5.30 Monday to Friday, Sunday trading makes our lives easier. It gives us 2 days at the weekend rather than saying we have to do everything on Saturday or take time off work. In this country I can't even get into my local bank branch because I work the hours they are open. I've grown up with Sunday trading and I want to keep it.

eve wrote: »
    I used to work Sunday's in retail but I still support people's rights to shop on a Sunday.

At the time I was in school and the only the days I was able to work were Saturday and Sunday-without Sunday I would have lost half of my wages. I disliked doing it but it had to be done. We worked 8-2 two Sundays out of 3. The other Sunday you were in 8-7.

But for all the people who work 9-5.30 Monday to Friday, Sunday trading makes our lives easier. It gives us 2 days at the weekend rather than saying we have to do everything on Saturday or take time off work. In this country I can't even get into my local bank branch because I work the hours they are open. I've grown up with Sunday trading and I want to keep it.

.... so you didnt like it when you had to do it, but now you don't its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

SDooM wrote: »
    .... so you didnt like it when you had to do it, but now you don't its ok.

Not exactly. I accepted that that was the way it was and if I wanted to earn the money I was earning (and not half the amount) then I had no choice.

Not exactly. I accepted that that was the way it was and if I wanted to earn the money I was earning (and not half the amount) then I had no choice.

When I first started in retail, late night shopping was considered the way to do this. I used to work 3 hours on Thurs and Fri. There are other ways!

Anyway, your's is not really the case this affects: For someone like the OP, it ruins their quality of life.

I'm presuming you didn't have a husband/kids to leave behind every Sunday though. Sunday's are great for students with double pay but not for a family person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

After living in Germany for a few years where there is no Sunday trading I must say I think it's great. Everything is just so relaxed on Sunday, people are relaxed and everyone is just chilling out, it's a nice way to finish the weekend. Seriously if you can't manage to get in your shopping the other 6 days of the weeks then you seriously need to reorganise your life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

jester77 wrote: »
    ... Seriously if you can't manage to get in your shopping the other 6 days of the weeks then you seriously need to reorganise your life!

I think you mean the other 1 day of the week. Most of us work monday-friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Beano wrote: »
    I think you mean the other 1 day of the week. Most of us work monday-friday.

What's wrong with shopping after work during the week? When I lived in Ireland I had no problem getting my shopping done, used to do it on either a Monday or Friday evening after work which left Saturday and Sunday for doing what ever I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Saturday and Sunday are the only days I can shop for clothes electrics etc. Work 9-5.30. Most places close at 6 except of a Thursday and Friday when I have a course so am I grateful for Saturday and Sunday shopping.

I dont just randomly walk around electrical shops and carpet shops on a Sunday just because I have nothing better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

jester77 wrote: »
    What's wrong with shopping after work during the week? When I lived in Ireland I had no problem getting my shopping done, used to do it on either a Monday or Friday evening after work which left Saturday and Sunday for doing what ever I wanted!

Well then maybe i'm not as blindingly efficient as you. I apologise if my lack of efficiency inconveniences those who choose (and choose is the right word, nobody is forced to work in a particular job) to work on a sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I get the distinct feeling the vast majority of people who are berating the OP have never had to work a Sunday in retail.
    I have, and never thought too much about it. It was just another day to work and get paid. I never thought there was anything wrong with it, either the working or shopping.
    SDooM wrote:
    there's something extra vacuous and greedy about the shoppers you get in.
    I know exactly what the OP is saying, and yes I think Sunday trading should be restricted

Or perhaps some law enforced for all people who work Sundays with young families, etc.
    I don't quite understand that, but I certainly don't believe there should be any law imposed on people who have families to stop them from shopping/working whenever they want. Sounds a bit fascist to me. Why just pick on Sunday too, why not restrict Monday trading, or Wednesday trading?
    However I think this is prob more of a humanities thing.

Definitely.

Saturday and Sunday are the only days I can shop for clothes electrics etc. Work 9-5.30. Most places close at 6 except of a Thursday and Friday when I have a course so am I grateful for Saturday and Sunday shopping.

I dont just randomly walk around electrical shops and carpet shops on a Sunday just because I have nothing better to do.

And don't forget most open Wednesday night too.

Surely Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evenings and all day Saturday are enough to get the bits and pieces done. There was me thinking that people might actually prefer to have their Sundays free.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No need for the aggressive tone. Ever had to work EVERY Sunday? I have and it's no fun.

Some people can't afford to just up and leave a job if they have a family to support. They may have two or three weeks without pay while going through the process ofg etting another.

if you think that's aggressive then you need to recalibrate your emotional thingummies. Seriously, I just echoed what other users (stekelly) already said and I don't shop on sundays myself (I generally work 6 days a week and need the downtime.) The OP was slagging the people who avail of this service instead of the people who provide it and that got my goat. I don't remember the referendum asking the nation to vote for sunday trading and I would think it was adopted from the uk/us by money hungry retailers to make those extra euros. Without sunday opening there would be thousands of students going without their social lives/games consoles/books and parents would have to make up the difference.

It's still a choice, dammit.

if you think that's aggressive then you need to recalibrate your emotional thingummies.

It was unnecessarily aggressive towards the OP. You told him to get a life. That's attacking the poster not the post and not really fair. Anyway......
    Seriously, I just echoed what other users (stekelly) already said and I don't shop on sundays myself (I generally work 6 days a week and need the downtime.) The OP was slagging the people who avail of this service instead of the people who provide it and that got my goat. I don't remember the referendum asking the nation to vote for sunday trading and I would think it was adopted from the uk/us by money hungry retailers to make those extra euros.

He's right in a way about the people who avail of the service. I remember as a kid pre-Sunday trading I used to go to my grandparents all the time. Then Sunday trading came in and we stopped going on a Sunday and crammed it in to another part of the week. Thousands of people have done the same. Why did they change their routine? If everyone kept what they were doing companies would have seen it wasn't in their best interests to stay and the whole idea would have folded.

To be fair, if only Cork had Sunday trading you'd have a mass exedus from every other county on that day of the week.
    Without sunday opening there would be thousands of students going without their social lives/games consoles/books and parents would have to make up the difference.

So students never had lives before Sunday trading?

It was unnecessarily aggressive towards the OP. You told him to get a life. That's attacking the poster not the post and not really fair. Anyway......

So students never had lives before Sunday trading?

Fair enough, I retract the 'get a life' statement.

I meant students can earn money at weekends to pay for
    these things.

Why stop there, we should only let shops open between 9
    and 5, mon-fri and feck everybody who can't manage to use them
    then. Evening times should be family time and their should
    be a 'family inspector' who can fine you if you are not
    spending 'quality' time with your family. No more watching
    soaps, football or games consoles. There would be a set
    rulebook of family activities that are allowed and recommended.
    Failure to do so will result in death. Big brother anyone?

No need for the aggressive tone. Ever had to work EVERY Sunday? I have and it's no fun..

I get the distinct feeling the vast majority of people who are berating the OP have never had to work a Sunday in retail. .

I spent 8 years working crap hours. 7 pm - 4 am shifts 5 days a week in one job and then in retail working every Saturday and Sunday. I didnt mind it for a long time, then I did so changed. I now work Mon - Fri and am home by 5 everyday.

Again Boo hoo to the OP.

Anyway, your's is not really the case this affects: For someone like the OP, it ruins their quality of life.

I'd say losing double time on a sunday ( I used to do it as a 6th day so it was well worth while) would have a bigger effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Stekelly wrote: »
    Get off your box OP. If you dont like it, change to a job where you dotn have to work wekkends or even just Sundays.

nice to see the art of politeness is officially dead. OP - hope these aren't the customers coming in your shop on a Sunday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont see an issue with opening sunday hours. Its convenient for me. I only wish banks would do the same!

As with any job, if you dont like the conditions then change jobs.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    I dont see an issue with opening sunday hours. Its convenient for me. I only wish banks would do the same!

As with any job, if you dont like the conditions then change jobs.

It's nearly impossible for people in the retail industry for people to find jobs with no sundays now.

*Que the two people who have :)*

Advertisement