Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gambler smashed up bookies after losing €2 bet

• 04-03-2008 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

A punter who smashed television sets in a bookmakers’ office, causing damage estimated at €17,835, in "several minutes of madness" after losing €2 on a bet has escaped with a suspended sentence.

John McCormac (aged 56), got a taxi home to collect a sledgehammer when he was barred from the bookmakers after abusing a staff member and returned to smash 27 television monitors.

McCormac of Decies Road, Ballyfermot pleaded guilty to criminal damage of television monitors in Paddy Powers, Ballyfermot Road on December 8, 2006.

Judge Patrick McCartan said it was "a matter of conscience" for McCormac and his family whether they repaid Paddy Power’s for the damage caused and he imposed a one year suspended sentence.

Garda Liam Ahere told prosecuting counsel, Mr Kerida Naidoo BL, that McCormac had placed a bet on a horse just as the odds changed and he discovered he was due €2 less then he thought.

McCormac then verbally abused a female member of staff.

The staff member told McCormac she would not take any more bets and he was barred from the premises.

Gda Ahere said McCormac took a taxi home to get a sledge hammer and got a taxi back to the bookmakers where he smashed 27 television monitors with the hammer. Staff pressed a panic alarm alerting gardaí.

Gda Ahere agreed with defence counsel, Mr Paul Greene BL, that McCormac had no previous convictions and had never before come to garda attention.

Mr Greene described the incident as "several minutes of madness" and said his client had a "significant psychiatric background". He said McCormac dropped the hammer as soon as he was challenged.

Mr Greene said McCormac was "a person with an unusually fragile personality" and the incident had been "an overreaction to a perceived slight". He said McCormac had suffered "a very real sanction" in being barred from his only social outlet.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojkfojojkf/

Funniest part of the story is that he got a flippin' taxi home to pick up his sledgehammer, after moaning about €2. That man has his priorities straight anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

"Wait there mr taxi driver, just need to get the oul sledgehammer ya know"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Mr Greene said McCormac was "a person with an unusually fragile personality" and the incident had been "an overreaction to a perceived slight".

Jaysus, I get this everyday, you never see me with a sledgehammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Wait there mr taxi driver, just need to get the oul sledgehammer ya know"

"Wait there Mr. Taxi Driver, just need to go in and smash up Paddy Powers, won't be a sec"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Can the bookie take a civil case against him now for the damage cost?

Seems a bit mad that the judge would make it "a matter of conscience" to pay it back.

astrofool wrote: »

I'm sure they could but Paddy Power are big into their public image and probably won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

id hate to have seen what would have happened if the taxi driver didn't break enough but and the meter went up by .20c

20c ahhhhh rabble rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

astrofool wrote: »

Seems a bit mad that the judge would make it "a matter of conscience" to pay it back.
    I presume they can sue for the damages alright, at least I'd hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    "Wait there Mr. Taxi Driver, just need to go in and smash up Paddy Powers, won't be a sec"

"Ah yeah jayzuz bud go ahead there bud sure id bleedin do the same meself.. see yerr in a minute"

"Ah yeah jayzuz bud go ahead there bud sure id bleedin do the same meself.. see yerr in a minute"

Stick a fiver on Hows Yer Aul One in the 5.20 at Chepstow, got a tip on it off a punter earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm think more along the lines of the comedy dective from the 80s, although he'd have the televisions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"A Matter of conscience"

Jesus, that's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They were probably old CRT TVs that needed replacing for modern flat screens anyway and that this was just a set up to make a claim :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd imagine that Paddy Power have insurance to cover this kind of damage (essentially vandalism), the insurance company will pay for the damage and the insurance company may chase him up to recuperate their costs. Paddy Power don't damage their image, and well, no one likes insurance companies anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Justice mcCartan was a staunch workers party man back in the day AFAIR, obviously still feels for the working man lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Someone finally took ripoff Ireland seriously.......just a little too much :)

You Suck! wrote: »
    Someone finally took ripoff Ireland seriously.......just a little too much :)

How has this anything to do with ripoff ireland? Is this not how bookies work all over the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bambi wrote: »
    Justice mcCartan was a staunch workers party man back in the day AFAIR, obviously still feels for the working man lol

That's right actually, never put two and two together with the name. Who put him on a bench, tell him to feck off and dig up the guns out the back garden

Advertisement