Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB connection problem ???

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems in the Dundalk, Louth area with BT BB ?

Sunday I lost connection from around 8pm - 12.30am
    Monday I lost connection again round the same time and its only back working now at 12.30am again :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i have the same in Ashbourne. Just called BT and nothing at there end as they say????
    Just explained my details and they are sending me a new Router.

What is your modem saying? are all lights on or just the ACT light flashing away as on the Xyzel?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

I lost connection from about 9pm last night (in Drogheda). DSL light is on, and activity is flashing on zyxel router, but can't find DNS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Happened in swords too. Not allocating an ip address to the router.

This has happened for the last two nights.

Paddyo

update,
    my modem was on 192.168.0.1 no connection was had at all
    now my modem is on 192.168.1.1 and i was able to gain access, turns out i needed to set up my details again and i now have my conenction back.

anybody else wanna try this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

I got it sorted thanks to BT support :D

I downloaded a windows update Sunday so I'm putting it down to that, whatever is happen my PC rewrites IP.
    Fix:
    1. Go to "Network Connections"
    2. Right click on your Network Connection and click on properties
    3. Untick "Internet Protocol Version 6"
    4. Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4" and click on properties
    Enter the following IP's

IP Address

Subnet will enter IP automatically

Default Gateway

DNS Addresses

Preferred DNS

Alternate DNS

• Advertisement

still down last time I checked. I'll try Bat77's solution and hope that works, no BB is doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

been having these issues myself as well, but usually a restart or two of the BB modem fixes it. I'm not going to bother with BT support as they'll just tell me to restart my modem or waste money on new DSL filters. The problem is with BT, but usually these things will iron themselves out.

Whats happening with me is the internet light on my modem just goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

I had the same problem as the OP. Rang BT last nite and got a recorded messages acknowledging that they were having problems.

It was back working at about 8pm last nite so fingers crossed it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Another BT BB user from Drogheda, and noticed connection issues Sunday night, but it sorted itself out after a few restarts.

Monday night, again no connection, restarting Zyxel router and everything looks okay in Diagnostics, and statistics shows full 2048 up and 256 down, but I tried everything (wi-fi, LAN, other laptops, firewalls), can't connect to net. Noticed it had sorted itself late Monday night.

Tuesday night, and deja vu - No net! Tried everything again, and still no net! :(

I will try bat77's instructions, and will report back. If that didn't work I would take it as a clue to quit BT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hello

There is an authentication problem affecting northside dublin, a large number of customers are being affected. That includes exchanges such as Drogheda, Blanchardstown, Swords, Malahide, Clontarf and Summerhill

The problem is with Eircom's BRAS, there is no forecast on when it will be sorted.

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hello

There is an authentication problem affecting northside dublin, a large number of customers are being affected. That includes exchanges such as Drogheda, Blanchardstown, Swords, Malahide, Clontarf and Summerhill

The problem is with Eircom's BRAS, there is no forecast on when it will be sorted.

Do us a favour and keep this information coming. at least it gives us some reasons behind the drop offs...

Thanks
    Darren

back on the net. Reset the zyxel, re-entered the setup instructions. Followed Bat77's instructions and it worked :D

Not sure if this was a vista thing :confused: or BT/Eircom, it seems a little strange.

I've been experiencing issues with intermittant dropping of BB since I installed vista, I assumed it was something to do with the zyxel, but that really shouldn't matter to the OS.

hope it stays up

padlad wrote: »
    back on the net. Reset the zyxel, re-entered the setup instructions. Followed Bat77's instructions and it worked :D
    So far my has stayed on since i entered the IP's and DNS, all I was told by BT tech support was that Vista is known to reconfig IP & DNS settings (could have been caused by recent windows update) and that there was no problems at the exchange or on the line.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm in Clonsilla and I had problems on Sunday night, down for about an hour and a half, and Monday night, down for about 4 hours. These were on top of losing the connection for a minute or two at some stage during just about every session I'm online. Last night I had nothing at all and rang BT where I got their recorded message saying they were down in areas beginning 01-4, 01-8 and 042. Back in now this evening and everything's fine so far.

Zaph wrote: »
    Last night I had nothing at all and rang BT where I got their recorded message saying they were down in areas beginning 01-4, 01-8 and 042. Back in now this evening and everything's fine so far.
    I'm in 042 area and mine was working fine all last night :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Out here in Longford, similar problems, the connection has been up and down for the last several days. >_< It had been mostly up and some down, but now it's been down for the last 8 hours solid and I'm back stuck on dial up.

I rang tech support and they seem to be having problems over a large area (but they never mentioned 043 in the list of affected area codes. They also said thay could not give a timeframe for when it would be fixed wtf?

I can't even scynchronise anymore now >_< BT GET THE FINGER OUT.

Is anyone else in the Longford area having trouble, with any provider?

Hello

hmm... can you explain how eircoms basic rate access would be affecting my BT line? I though since I moved over BT's 8Mb line that i'd be connecting to BT's own lines at the exchange now and not going near eircoms lines. Isn't that what the LLU was for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

This doesnt apply to LLU customers

This doesnt apply to LLU customers

damn :confused:... then whats causing my line to die intermittently? I've asked 2 other friends in work and they are both having the same issue with their 8Mb/s lines. I thought it was my modem or my DSL filters but my friends in work are using different modems and filters and still having the problem. Plus I wasn't getting any of these issues when I was on my 2Mb/s BT line.

Are all the new 8Mb lines a part of BT's LLU?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mine is down in D9 - 'insufficient resources available to authenticate' :mad:
    Its back again.. :D

• Advertisement

Mine has been down since 8pm, back up now, would love to know whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Mine was up and down a few times today. Has been ok since about 6.
    Must be work for the upgrades. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

L31mr0d wrote: »
    damn :confused:... then whats causing my line to die intermittently? I've asked 2 other friends in work and they are both having the same issue with their 8Mb/s lines. I thought it was my modem or my DSL filters but my friends in work are using different modems and filters and still having the problem. Plus I wasn't getting any of these issues when I was on my 2Mb/s BT line.

Thats different issue

Call Tech Support and ask them to check your line, give them your modem type.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Mine was up and down a few times today. Has been ok since about 6.
    Must be work for the upgrades. :)

same here, it went down in the middle of the day but has been fine since I got home from work, it seems to be going down between 2pm to 4pm every day.
    Praetor wrote: »
    Thats different issue

Call Tech Support and ask them to check your line, give them your modem type.

Why is it a different issue? I'm going to call tech support anyway and see what they have say tomorrow.
    Enter the following IP's

IP Address

Subnet will enter IP automatically

Default Gateway

DNS Addresses

Preferred DNS

Alternate DNS

Also, in regard to this fix. My BB modem is automatically picking up my gateways as:

Primary DNS Server 194.125.2.241
    Secondary DNS Server 194.125.2.240

So which is correct? Maybe i'm on a different gateway because i'm in a different area?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is possible that your line (and your friends') is not up to taking the full 8Mb - have your checked your line stats since you got upgraded?

BT Smart and anyone else offering these major upgrades should be giving people better advice about the importance of line quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

My BT connection was down on Monday evening for the whole evening. When I got up Tuesday it was back. It was down again last night (Thursday), again for the whole evening. Now that I know it's not just me, I'll stop pulling router and modem wires out and constantly resetting the modem just to get PPPOE and Ping Failures. Hope it's back to normal soon. I get withdrawl sympthoms when n
    I don't have it (Weird). I think I'm addicted.
    Offtopic:
    Was speaking to BT the other night and they informed me that my area (Ashbourne) will be upgraded to 6.7mb connection by the end of May without any service interuption.......:D:D

Jarvis

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Swords had an intermittent service for about 10 days but seems to have settled again over the last couple of days... initially thought it was my router acting up so kinda glad to hear that I was not the only one! Just wish BT would admit when they have a problem!!

dub45 wrote: »
    It is possible that your line (and your friends') is not up to taking the full 8Mb - have your checked your line stats since you got upgraded?

Yes, my line stats are pretty good:

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:07:00:22
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 2

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 8124 Kbps 507 Kbps
    Noise Margin 32.6 dB 31.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 8.0 dB 3.0 dB
    Output Power 11.1 dBm 0.0 dBm

dl wrote: »
    Swords had an intermittent service for about 10 days but seems to have settled again over the last couple of days... initially thought it was my router acting up so kinda glad to hear that I was not the only one! Just wish BT would admit when they have a problem!!

how do you know this? where you just having a problem for 10 days or did BT tell you this?

Down all morning :rolleyes:, only back up and running now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I know the feeling :(

On the Dun Laoghaire exchange on BT LLU and it just dies randomly. The DSL light goes and I have to log on to the router and hit connect. It happened a few times in a row during the week there.

MY SN is rather low and NA is high but I've no other problems aside from that.

Using the voyager with x.32 firmware.

Advertisement