Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

circling planes D3

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Anybody in D3 being kept awake by low flying circling planes this past hour and a half? Might this have something to do with air traffic strike? Surely no queue to land at this hour of the night?
    Yours confused and awake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

gosplan wrote: »
    Anybody in D3 being kept awake by low flying circling planes this past hour and a half? Might this have something to do with air traffic strike? Surely no queue to land at this hour of the night?
    Yours confused and awake!

I thought the strike was over/never materialised? Could just be Aircraft in the "stack" waiting to land at EIDW ( Dublin ) or even doing go-arounds due to the WX ( Weather ) situation at Dublin if its windy then again the Air Corps have been VERY active at night for the past few weeks especially with the PC9M's.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

runway 34 in use at dublin because of runway maintance on the main East/West runway.

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-25_en.pdf

You can see the approach goes almost directly over the pidgeon house chimneys. So they aren't circling or going around, just a normal approach procedure to one of the more rarely used runways in dub.

ant

APM wrote: »
    runway 34 in use at dublin because of runway maintance on the main East/West runway.

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-25_en.pdf

You can see the approach goes almost directly over the pidgeon house chimneys. So they aren't circling or going around, just a normal approach procedure to one of the more rarely used runways in dub.

ant

How long will that be going on for im going up to EIDW spotting in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Base

Steyr, supposed to be just for this week between 10pm and 5am so should be business as usual again Friday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cool, ta

• Advertisement

Yep cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah on tuesday night I was heading home and could see a/c on approach to RWY 16 so I took a spin down to the back road right next to the approach lights for 16.

Its pitch dark there as there's no street lights but when an EI A321 was on short finals his landing lights lit the place up like it was day. Looked like he was going to land on top of you!
    Quite a good place to watch a/c during the rare times that 16 is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

It is a great spot though I was moved on by the airport police a few times years ago....dunno what they're like now. Great fun having them pass right over your head on finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Its funny you say that because as I was leaving I drove down and stopped at SAR chopper hangar. (By the way at this stage it was 1.30am)Got out to have a look when a Garda car pulls up next to me. His window go's down.

Garda: "Howya?!"
    Me: "Hello!"
    G: "What you doing??"
    M: "Eh, just having a look at the coastguard helicopter area and the hangars."
    G: "At half one in the morning???"
    M: [pause] "Eh yeah"
    G: "Whats your name?"
    M: "View Profile"
    G: "Where do you live?"
    M: "S*tt*n"
    G: "Why you out here at 1.30 in the morning?"
    M: [pause to think about the strangeness of my actions] "Just going for a drive."

Conversation continued and I told them about my aviation links which seemed to quell their worries that I was about to scale the fence and run onto the runway. They drove away a little bemused.
    Funny I thought. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lol :) Always hard to explain to some people that you're just there to "look" at stuff.

Well good to know they're keeping an eye on things I guess :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement