Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux and wireless network

• 04-03-2008 2:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Excuse the total n00bness.

I have recently dual booted my pc to Windows XP plus Linux. I've tried Ubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu 7.10 and openSuSE 10.3. All of them work fine, save for my inability to connect to my home wireless network.

The network was set up by me only a couple of months ago. It's TKIP WPA-Personal secured. It's running off a Belkin 54g router, and my adapter is also Belkin (802.11g).

The network connection has worked on two occasions ever. Mostly it just shows up that there are networks available, I click connect, it attempts to connect, and fails.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 md5

obl wrote: »
    Excuse the total n00bness.

I have recently dual booted my pc to Windows XP plus Linux. I've tried Ubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu 7.10 and openSuSE 10.3. All of them work fine, save for my inability to connect to my home wireless network.

The network was set up by me only a couple of months ago. It's TKIP WPA-Personal secured. It's running off a Belkin 54g router, and my adapter is also Belkin (802.11g).

The network connection has worked on two occasions ever. Mostly it just shows up that there are networks available, I click connect, it attempts to connect, and fails.

Any ideas?

Lot's of things could happen. 1. When you connect to wireless network try check what wep key do you use hex/ascii ? 2. Try restarting your modem 3. Try to reset the modem and reconfigure it 4. Check can you connect to it with a different computer If youwill answer me those questions I will be able to help you more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Ive had the same issue with Ubuntu, although it is working now I dare not change it as I know i will end up spending they day fixing it.

I would however suggest using linux mint. I set this up on a laptop and has worked fine ever since. it was very simple and easy to do.

Advertisement