Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partitions

• 04-03-2008 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Looks like I made the hash of the partitions when I was setting up ubuntu. I seemed to allocate far too much space as swap space. I believe 2Gb is enough for swap space? I seemed to give it 25Gb or so! Is there any way of reclaiming space, without having to reinstall the OS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

You could just delete the swap partition and create a new one, can't remember off the top of my head what you need to do in ubuntu, but it should be something similiar to

fdisk /dev/sdX
    delete your old swap partition - d
    create a new one - n
    size = +2000M
    change type - t and whatever the swap hex code is
    write

mkswap /dev/sdxX
    swapon /dev/sdxX

Update fstab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

what greenhell suggests is the best way IMO. If you really want a GUI, try gparted. It's a grand piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Cheers lads.
    My partitions are a bit messed up. I managed to resize the swap down to 2Gb, but I now have dev/sda6 as 20Gb. How can I get move this, so it's accessible from my system folder? As it is, it's 20gb disk, outside of the filesystem. If I unmount dev/sda1 to resize it, would it cause problems?

I have:
    Partition Filesystem Size Flags
    dev/sda1 ext2 33Gb boot
    dev/sda2 extended 23Gb lba

dev/sda2 is sub-divided into:
    dev/sda5 linux-swap 2Gb -
    dev/sda6 ext2 21Gb -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Thats mad. Can you copy your fstab in here so we can take a look. If you got logical volumes extending and resizing should be no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You might be able to get rid of sda6, move sda5 to the end of the drive (no need for an extended partition here by the way) then expand sda1 to fill the space. If it were me, I'd just use /dev/sda6 as /home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I deleted sd5 and sd6, then deleted sd2. Then booted to the live cd and increased the size of sd1. Then added the 2Gb swap space.
    Cheers for the help lads.

Advertisement