Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann: not the exact change? Tough!!

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi

I took the No.8 from Patrick's Street to Curraheen Rd this morning and I give a €2 coin to the bus driver who gives me c50 back. I point out that he should give me c55 back, he grumbles back that he has no 5c :confused:

I bide my time and I saw some passengers giving him the exact change so Itell myself that I'll ask for the 5c at the last stop, so that's what I did and he keeps on telling me that he has no 5c, I tell him he could at least apologise and he starts yelling at me that he doesn't have to give me the exact change!! :mad:

I mean it's not like I paid with a €50 banknote!! 5c is nothing, but it's the behaviour. If I was 5c short I doubt he'd let me in :mad: I suppose there's no point in sending an email to complain about this? I kept the ticket anyway. Now I'd like to see some official documentation on bus drivers not obliged to give you the change :rolleyes:

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you take the drivers name? If he was shouting at you that's a bit over the line. You might get better advice in the commuting and transport forum

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

I didn't take his name becuae at this stage he probably wouldn't have given it to me anayway, even though I thought of it...I kept calm and polite all the time.

Thanks for the link, I'll post there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I didn't take his name becuae at this stage he probably wouldn't have given it to me anayway, even though I thought of it...I kept calm and polite all the time.:)

You could still lodge a complaint giving the time/date/route/description of driver. His attitude smacks of complete rudeness. Agreed, 5c, is not the end of the world, but would he kick you off the bus if you were 5c short?

Hi,

I posted a new thread here as recommended above ;)

Agreed, 5c is not a big deal. I'll give him €1.40 tomorrow and we'll see :D

Don't wanna be too smart either, he could kick me out and I'd be late for work then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The annoying thing with bus eireann is that their prices are in 5c's, so the drivers must bring a big bag of 5c's with them... Luckily (for me at least) i have a bus pass so i don't have to worry about stuff like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Don't most Bus Eireann buses have a sign near the door saying "exact change only"? My guess is that if you complain to them they'll just point you at that.

Don't most Bus Eireann buses have a sign near the door saying "exact change only"? My guess is that if you complain to them they'll just point you at that.

Nope, I don't remember seeing such a sign :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Buses (or any vendor) are not required to give change, its the customer's responsibility to present the payment for the item. Doesn't sound like he went out of his way to help mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It amazes me how they are still taking cash/coins on buses. Its light years since I got a bus in this city but I thought by now it would have gone cashless like other european cities ie you buy your ticket from an authorised seller, you validate your ticket through a machine on the bus and thats that! IMO the days of drivers taking money should be well gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hedgepig

Ya I don't know about in Cork but in Dublin at least some of the buses specify that you must have the exact change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Bus drivers are a law onto themselves. What we need is a good bout of privatisation! that'd sort em out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

but in dublin if you cannot give exact amounts like 2 euro for a 1.50 trip, the ticket you get can be brought to the central office and the amount due in change redeemed.they wont give you change there and tehn on the bus.

if you have a 5 euro note or more however.....

all the same thou, do bus services even have the right to dictate to customers they have to have the exact change?
    i agree with the OP about the double standards - they wouldnt leave you on if you were short but will gladly keep your money if you are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Surely a cashless system would be the best way to go (like the rest of europe) and let the drivers get on with the business of just driving, isn't that why they got rid of the bus conductors years ago? Seems to me they mandated that job to the driver to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

an oyster card type system like in london would be brilliant!
    like it will ever happen in this country in the next decade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

we need a luas in cork we used to have a good tram service,i don't see why we cant have one again.
    OP if your annoyed write a letter of Complaint,write down the time,route you took,there is no need for disgraceful behaviour.The bus services are getting increasingly non existent,all the government care is about Dublin,not about the rest of the country,the buses aren't serviced,cleaned, and are always breaking down,id say they couldn't pass an emissions section of the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

all the same thou, do bus services even have the right to dictate to customers they have to have the exact change?
    Yes. Do you think they should be obliged to accpet all €50 notes proffered and have the correct change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

you should get the exact fare in 5c coins and next time you see the driver give them to him. that pisses them off more than anything

Victor wrote: »
    Yes. Do you think they should be obliged to accpet all €50 notes proffered and have the correct change?

Hold on, let's stay within the boundaries of reason here. I know you're only making a general comment but it's a €2 coin I gave, I repeat, TWO euros, NOT a €50 bank note :o

Then again I wouldn't think there's a law that obliges them to *refuse* a €50 note if tendered :D Anyway I agree, it annoys me when people always pay in notes for small cheap items just because they're too lazy to give the exact change...

And what about people who have the exact change...in 1c or 2c coins, no matter in the bus or not, to pay for a cartload at your local store, that's perfectly acceptable :D

But that's another issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

an oyster card type system like in london would be brilliant!
    like it will ever happen in this country in the next decade.....

<3 Oyster. And I love having a transport system where a five minute wait (rather than a half hour wait) for a bus/tube/train is legitimate excuse to have a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I noticed that. The thing is, it's happening about half the time. I don't really care and have never really brought it up. I do, however get pissed off at the amount of times that I get 5x1c coins after giving €1.50. I get the number 8 most days, most of the drivers are grand but that ****er with the moustache is a right ignorant ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement