Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on the Trek 1.9

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Looking for some constructive thoughts on the above.

Budget is (at a push) ~ 1700 Euro for new bike
    Purpose of the bike will be for long training rides with Dublin, Wicklow mountains, some olympic distance triathlons and maybe longer. I know some of the frame differences between road and tri bikes but reckon Ill spend more time out of the tri bars during 12 months so. Hence, its gotta be a road bike.

So, a bog standard config for the Trek 1.9 looks like the following - Im travelling soon so have a price of around 1300 euro for this
    Its a Trek 1.9 compact ((50/34) (theres an option of a triple but reckon alot of the gears will go unused)
    Frame Aluminium - Alpha Black
    Fork "New" Bontrager Race Carbon w/AL str
    Headset VP -A46ACK with 10mm AL Conical Bearing Top Cap
    Chainset "New" Shimano Ultegra Compact 50/34 or 50/39/30
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Ultegra
    Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
    Shifters Shimano Ultegra STI 10 Speed
    Cassette/Freewheel "New" Shimano 105 11-25
    Wheels Bontrager Race Wheelsystem

Out of interest I got a quote with some upgrades (bringing the price to 1700 euro)
    Trek 1.9 Compact (50/34)
    Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed Cassette 12-27
    Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium Elites
    Tyres: Continental Ultra Gator Skin tyres
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM Kium Black

Nothing signed or agreed at this point, since the Trek 1.9 was either called something else, or has little web reviews thought Id try trapping the knowledge @ boards. Any opinions, reviews would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

To be honest your better off buying a 2007 Trek 1500 they should be going cheap now because the new 2008 models are out. i think i saw a link to a Trek 1500 going cheap in Wheelsworks

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/produc...roducts_id=441

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The 1.9 is similar to the previous 1500 (depending on whether you got Ultegra on the 1500.) That will be a nice fast light bike and 1300 certainly seems like a decent price for it in Ireland. (If it is not an Irish LBS price, consider though that you can get, for example, a carbon Ultegra bike from wiggle for ~1300 - won't be any faster, but could be more comfortable.)

If it is a first road bike I'd consider trying it stock first and upgrade later, although the cassette could certainly be a benefit if you are going for the compact.

Edit: Wheelworx have the 1500 for 1,300 but if you have the option of the 1.9 for the same price, I would go for that above the 1500 as it is slightly better (the wheels and fork are upgraded, and you can get a compact.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Many thanks for the quick responses

re: the 2007 Trek 1500 - appreciate the pointer to wheelworx but not sure of the reasoning behind choosing the 2007 Trek 1500 at the same price as a stock 2008 Trek 1.9 - if there is any further details please pass em along
    blorg wrote: »
    The 1.9 is similar to the previous 1500 (depending on whether you got Ultegra on the 1500.) That will be a nice fast light bike and 1300 certainly seems like a decent price for it in Ireland. (If it is not an Irish LBS price, consider though that you can get, for example, a carbon Ultegra bike from wiggle for ~1300 - won't be any faster, but could be more comfortable.)

If it is a first road bike I'd consider trying it stock first and upgrade later, although the cassette could certainly be a benefit if you are going for the compact.

Edit: Wheelworx have the 1500 for 1,300 but if you have the option of the 1.9 for the same price, I would go for that above the 1500 as it is slightly better (the wheels and fork are upgraded, and you can get a compact.)

The 1300 Euros price is from a LBS in the UK - from recent poking about the bike is available from two locations at just above 1700. Ill be in the Uk for work for a spell so ... buy it, use it, get it serviced before a trip home .. was the rough plan of action.

Like the wiggle site alot but (without opening carbon v's alu debate) Im kinda happy to run with a high spec alu frame with good components and good wheels that go down the carbon route for a road bike - think if Im ever flush enough to consider a TT/Tri bike Id go down that route but thanks for the pointer.

It wont be my first road bike - Ive a 13 year old Dawes bike that has served me very well but will cost more to upgrade than the route of a new bike - buying the trek 1.9 will be for fair weather rides and for tri's for the time being. The upgrade to the mavic elite wheelset, the cassette and saddle were nice-to-haves I thought of since it then roughly matches LBS shop prices in Ireland.

Any more thoughts welcome guys - and thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smith2006

My review based on a test drive on my Trek 1.9.

Wheels - Campagnolo Zonda
    Tyres - Hutchinson Fusion Race

Groupset - mainly Centaur
    Bottom bracket - Chorus
    Crankset - Record aluminium, 53/39

The bike does seem to need to be picked one size
    next to yours measured for Giant TCR , for example,
    i.e. if there you're 56, choose Trek 58 cm.

The bike gives amazingly wide range of possible
    adjustments where you feel comfortable compared to
    a hybrid bike I assembled myself where it took a lot
    of time to find proper seatpost/saddle/stem height
    positions.

It is really comfortable on the road with perfect
    weight distribution on front/rear wheels which gives
    a distinct feeling of safety. Riding is almost as smooth as
    on my hybrid with CrMo frame/Titanium fork!
    Acceleration is also remarkable, allowing speeding up
    to over 50 km/h at distance about 60m on the trek indoors
    (still not at 100% power).
    You've got an impressive average speed; leisure riding is
    at about 30-31 km/h.
    Overall I'm very impressed and recommend it.

One thing, though, related to bike's being probably too
    sensitive at manouevring at least for the first time ride
    and steep turns are performed probably too "easily" than
    you might expect.
    The radius turn is, however, smaller then on my hybrid
    with a mountainbike frame.
    Overall, high level of "intelligence".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

You might want to pay a quick visit to Cyclesuperstore. I was in there last week and they had a large selection of very serious used bikes in mint condition for VERY little money compared to new prices. There are some beautiful Looks with top specs, well worth checking out if there is anything in your size. I've just bought a new bike from the UK but had I known beforehand, I may well have gone for one of those SH Looks in Cyclesperstore and got a lot more bike for the same money and no delivery charges, I got whacked for a € 200 courier bill !!!

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/shbikes.asp

Good luck,

Murph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Just a quick warning on trek bikes I have a friend who owns a bike shop and I just seen the price list for the trek range the difference between the sterling pricelist and the euro one is massive and dublin supply both north and south, a basic trek 1.2 North price €629 south price €779, trek 5.2 madone north price €3125, south price €3999.00 and its the same across the range can't understand why such the large price difference from same company, the bike's cost price for the 5.2 is around €450 more than the northern price to the shop, talk about taken the piss, all you southern dealers are getting screwed, so when you see the massive price difference dont blame the shops, all prices above are RRP from the new trek pricelist and the sterling converted at 1.26,
    I am glad we dont sell Trek's, O bye the way the new 2009 Giants will be better value in Ireland than the UK, and the better it gets as you move up the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Worth pointing out that you can't get a Trek delivered from the UK -you'll have to go in and get it yourself.... this is due to a Trek policy that the shops can do nothing about.

For 1700 notes, I'd definitely look at the Focus Range on wiggle... for high end Alu, you have the Variado Expert for just over a grand, which is the bike I own and am very happy with -full Ultegra and a lovely, lovely frame.... stick a good set of wheels on with your change, and it's a lovely package (Something like Fulcrum Racing 1's). The Cayo is 1200 for a full carbon, and by all accounts is a great buy -quite a few on here for example, and solid. Focus' 2009 range is out soon and will give you even more choice than is currently available.

Most major manufacturers have good bikes in this price range, though a lot will come with 105, so make sure to check as I'd say Ultegra is obtainable, and nicer (based purely on conjecture, not backed up by any hard fact!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

liamtinney wrote: »
    the difference between the sterling pricelist and the euro one is massive

I know exactly what you mean but i know why as well..... I deal with several companies in the UK, indeed i am paid from there in pounds (ooch) and the basic problem is that BIG companies deal with valuations over 5 years or so where as we as consumers only care about now. Because the EURO has strengthened so much, or the pounds devalued, larger companies haven't caught up.

This put us in a real crap state because we want to support our LBS but can't see the point in shelling over 10 - 30% more for the same article. Call me stupid but buying something online for 1000 or in a shop for 1300 -- is an easy choice.

the answer is really simple for us dubliners..... go north. I did last week and bought a nice new fast road bike from 2008 heavilt discounted. I saved about 400 pounds on the normal reatil and also got it in sterling so I saved a MASSIVE amount as opppsed to buying the same one here.....

If you interested in looking around look at this website www.slanecycles.com only up the road from dublin 2 hours and great service -- almost like a LBS for me. I'll definately go up there again.

1500 pounds will buy you a great bike i was looking at a Colnago Artre ( about 1900 after the conversion but 2300 here) actually its on special and fits the busget http://www.slanecycles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=1307&subid=276&catid=66 free shipping here as well if you don't want to go up

I can't understnad manufacturers at all in this case.... can't they see that the high end market for bikes in Ireland will just shrick and ultimately we will have no decent LBS.....

I'm with ya on the Slane Cycles option. Very helpful bunch, must have some crazy amount of stock as they seem to have everything, usually better prices than Wiggle, no delivery charge and best of all ... it arrives on your door the day after you order it online...SWEET !!!! ( Of course now that I've said that, I bet my Garmin 705 wont get here until monday aaargh !! )

... oh I got it for €387 in Slane Cycles, a certain well known LBS this side of the border wanted €520 for the same one !!!!!!!

Murph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I know exactly what you mean but i know why as well..... I deal with several companies in the UK, indeed i am paid from there in pounds (ooch) and the basic problem is that BIG companies deal with valuations over 5 years or so where as we as consumers only care about now. Because the EURO has strengthened so much, or the pounds devalued, larger companies haven't caught up.

This put us in a real crap state because we want to support our LBS but can't see the point in shelling over 10 - 30% more for the same article. Call me stupid but buying something online for 1000 or in a shop for 1300 -- is an easy choice.

the answer is really simple for us dubliners..... go north. I did last week and bought a nice new fast road bike from 2008 heavilt discounted. I saved about 400 pounds on the normal reatil and also got it in sterling so I saved a MASSIVE amount as opppsed to buying the same one here.....

If you interested in looking around look at this website www.slanecycles.com only up the road from dublin 2 hours and great service -- almost like a LBS for me. I'll definately go up there again.

1500 pounds will buy you a great bike i was looking at a Colnago Artre ( about 1900 after the conversion but 2300 here) actually its on special and fits the busget http://www.slanecycles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=1307&subid=276&catid=66 free shipping here as well if you don't want to go up

I can't understnad manufacturers at all in this case.... can't they see that the high end market for bikes in Ireland will just shrick and ultimately we will have no decent LBS.....

It's not the totally the fault of Trek, more so the distributor(s). Although Trek could surely do something about it.

One of my friends wanted to buy a Trek mountain bike, couldn't get better than €2800 from any Trek dealer in the country, even though the sterling equivalent was less than €2200.
    He wrote a strongly worded letter to Trek informing them of the growing popularity of mountain biking in Ireland and how he knew lots of people who would like to buy Trek, but wouldn't because of the large price difference between Ireland and the UK. Low and behold, he got a phone call from Trek, followed up by a phone call from the distributor.

In the end he got the bike for €2400, but the distributor insisted on it being from a specific bike shop (a bit strange).

Someone might correct me on this, but I think there is only one importer/distributor of Trek bikes in Irealnd, so there's no competition, and they can charge the LBS a premium price for the bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

ob wrote: »
    Someone might correct me on this, but I think there is only one importer/distributor of Trek bikes in Irealnd, so there's no competition, and they can charge the LBS a premium price for the bikes.

This is relatively normal in any country. I'm sure there's only one UK importer as well. Still so terrible though isn't it that you need to kick up a fuss just to get a deal....... don't forgot though that trek didn't reduce the for everyone so they aren't that interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

blorg wrote: »
    Wheelworx have the 1500 for 1,300 but if you have the option of the 1.9 for the same price, I would go for that above the 1500 as it is slightly better (the wheels and fork are upgraded, and you can get a compact.)

I just bought a 1500 (full Ultegra bar the hubs which Bontrager Race Lite) in Stagg Cycles for €1190. Have taken it for two 100k spins and am delighted with it. I'll probably upgrade the wheels when I have €500 to spare (i.e. never) but in the meantime the existing Race Lite rims are fine. By coincidence I was out in Maynooth today and spotted the same bike in The Bike Shop (actual name) for €1199. So I guess it depends on whether the €100 saving is a sufficient incentive to consider the 2007 model or not.

Comparison:
    Test ride on Giant TCR carbon frame/full Ultegra, 6600
    Ultegra wheels, fairly nice fitting the body despite distinct "low"
    position with your back like a "hump". Comfortable smooth riding+turns
    with particularly low position of centre of gravity, but acceleration
    falls somewhat short compared to Trek.

Got a brief look at http://www.slanecycles.com, looks nice
    but wanted to draw attention to few things.

For example:
    Bianchi 928 Carbon C2C Ultegra SL Compact Bike 2008, J1.382-J1.600
    Shimano Aksium( Mavic?) Race wheelset seems quite low level for a carbon
    bike at such price.

Bianchi 928 C2C Carbon Record Compact Bike 2008, J2.340-J2.750
    Of Record only 10sp Shifters and Derailleurs, the speed-gain department
    is FSA SLK Pro Carbon Mega Exo Compact Chainset 50/34 and Campagnolo
    Zonda wheelset, quite low level for the price?

Cervelo R3 Bike 2007, Ј2,899.00 - Ј2,467.23 full DuraAce, Ultegra wheels.
    looks quite fair, but wheels might be DuraAce for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Wheels are generally under-specced on just about any bike at any level. They are generally the first place to look at upgrading; you can then keep the wheels the bike came with as "training wheels" but never use them because your nice new wheels are just too nice in comparison :D

Mavic Aksiums are probably the single most common wheelset you'll find on entry-level carbon bikes. They are perfectly fine, one of the best wheelsets available at their price point (which is in the £100-150 range.) Just a bit heavy.

Those Bianchi 928 C2C Carbons are beautiful bikes, the frame set is £1,000 on its own, so they are pretty good pricewise at Slane Cycles. I'm sure with a bit of haggling the lads there upgrade the wheelset for a few more ££

Murph

Advertisement