Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with games you've completed?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Since I stopped trading in because of the bad prices, I've built up quite a little collection of current and last-gen games, without even really trying. The problem is that some of the older games in my 'collection' would fetch next to nothing in Game or Gamestop on trade in, so it's barely worth my time even trying. I'm just wondering what people do with games they've finished?

What do you do with your old games? 78 votes

Give them away
    0% 0 votes
    Trade them in
    5% 4 votes
    Sell them on adverts/somewhere else
    12% 10 votes
    Keep them to play again
    3% 3 votes
    Keep them to look at in my dotage
    41% 32 votes
    Keep them, current is the next retro
    26% 21 votes
    Something else
    10% 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Put the classic ones into storage and throw the ****ty ones out :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i seem to be stockpiling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ah sure I never finish them!

Never have time, more money than sense!

Dont trade them at all really, give a lot of them to my mates kid....

Mind you he wouldnt be a fan of condemned!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

mayordenis wrote: »
    i seem to be stockpiling
    Ditto.

Altho at one stage a sold a good few pc games on the old FS forum but now I keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Yup, I hang onto them all. Currently have 37 Xbox360 games sitting on my shelf.... I'm a "hoarder" according to my g/f. What does she know, she keeps shoes as long as I keep games!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I stockpile them. Always keep them because I keep saying to myself I'd like to play them again even though I know I probably never will since I seem to be stockpiling unplayed games as well. Only ever traded in 2 games, the darkness and kane and lynch and that was because they were utter **** and I got 40 euros off another game in xtravision for each one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Would only trade if I a) don't like the game and b) if will get some sort of decent saving. Traded in FEAR and Dead Rising (too games which I knew Id never play again) for Halo 3 on release day in Xtravision, which wasn't bad, as I wasn't going to pay money for it anyway :p Otherwise: hoarder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Hoard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I build a small fort out of them...

Actually I reckon when I'm old and retired I'll spend my days completing all the games I didn't get a chance to when I was younger.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I build a small fort out of them...

Actually I reckon when I'm old and retired I'll spend my days completing all the games I didn't get a chance to when I was younger.

Thats my plan too. playstation 10 better have backwards compatability!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

im a complete stockpiler :(

fingers crossed for future electronics and cars that run on the spinnig power of discs :)

SDooM wrote: »
    Thats my plan too. playstation 10 better have backwards compatability!

I reckon I'll be about 65 when the Playstation 10 comes out. I heard it's going have 17 times the graphical capabilities of the Playstation 9

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I reckon I'll be about 65 when the Playstation 10 comes out. I heard it's going have 17 times the graphical capabilities of the Playstation 9

It's higher definition than real life, I hear. Deffo got to use that to play PS1 games on.

Who keeps their old consoles? I have all mine back to the megadrive. Brother sold our C64 though :(

My first console was the Dreamcast.

But I have since bought up a few of the older consoles.

Computer wise... I still have my Amiga... too bad none of my games work very well any more. Time isn't too kind to Amiga floppy disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to trade the console ones. Now I hoard them too (unless they're really sh1te). I have a good few years worth of PC games making my shelf creak though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

I usually trade in the ones i will know i will never play again (Fifa 08 etc) but i keep ones i really enjoyed playing (Mercenaries) or ones that are classics or part of a good series (Devil May cry 2 wasnt great but kept it as part of the series)

Been doing this since i was a kid , as far back as the spectrum and Commadore 64 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If they've got online stuff I'd keep them but if not I'd sell them on or give them to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I tend to power through a game and as long as I'm interested in it I'll finish it and either sell it on, swap it or trade it in. There are only 3 games I've been holding recently and thats cause the replay and online value is still very good in them. COD4 is really getting in the way of me getting on with new games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I stockpile them. If I have kids someday, I'll introduce them the relics of gaming yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not stockpiling, it's collecting ;)

Yeah I have visions of myself sitting in a retirement home finally getting a chance to play through some of my games. Just hope the arthritis doesn't get to me first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i stockpile them also , i'm not big into trading them in or selling them on .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually, I think a decent reason for hoarding is to try and stop those ridiculous prices game shops try to pull off these days. Sell a game to them for fifteen (optimistically), they sell it for fifty or even sixty (I've seen 2nd hand games cheaper than the new). Rather keep my games than support Gamestop's effective money laundering business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I have a huge pc game collection but that's only because I can't trade them!

I used to hoard console games but now I trade them in, unless I think I might replay them. Having said that, my gaming time is too limited to fool myself into thinking I might replay anything more than only the best games.
    I see what some of you are saying about not wanting to give up games because of the poor value you get for them but surely it's better to have even €15 off a new game than have it gathering dust on a shelf!

Also, while people are willing to pay €60 for a second hand game (while it's €65 new), why shouldn't the game shops try to charge that much? Until they realise we won't pay those prices, they win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Clover wrote: »
    i stockpile them also , i'm not big into trading them in or selling them on .

Matty,

Dean, uber and the others lads have sent out a search party for you. Haven't seen you post on the other forum in awhile.

Back to topic, I generally trade them as i'm trying to save space and prevent clutter at home. Though i only trade after i've had them for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Put them on the shelf to be one day played again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep 'em. I always get a sudden hankering to play through an old game that I completed & enjoyed. Sure only there the other week I re-installed DeusEx2 to remind myself why I enjoyed it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

trade them in, no point keeping it once I'm finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Generally hoard them because the trade in value is rubbish, besides its like having a big shelf of trophies. Show all the games i completed :D Nice to go back and give them a blast again every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

i love beatin thru a new game that makes u constantly swear and scream at the screen and beat the joypad or mouse and keyboard and keep u up late at nytes sweatin like a racehorse till you've gotten thru to the next level...

but..

once i've completed it.. if it didn't have enough memorable moments in it like manhunt or Fight Night R3, i kinda lose interest in it... like the other day i bought FEAR FILES with Extraction Point & Persuas Mandate for the 360, completed it in two days both parts of it.. and now its jus sittin on my shelf... collecting dust...

althought i sometimes do invest in the collectors editon of games and those ones i keep..

or if a game has a fantastic quirk i love i keep it.. like MANHUNT.. man i still have the original that came out on the PS2 on my shelf, and the colectors edition of Silent Hill2...

but it has to have a great customisable factor for me sometimes to keep me going back to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I tend to keep all my games purely because I could want to play them again at any time. Usually this happens when I see/read/hear someone talking about the game. I remember it and immediately get an urge to play it again.

This happened most recently with MGS. I now have it on my PSP and am up to the second Sniper Wolf section.

Advertisement