Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is it to install new oil tank?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hi, i have an old rusty oil tank thats leaking and need to replace it. was thinking of a smaller plastic one. is it just a case of taking the pipe off one and putting it on the other or is there anything fiddly with it? any help would be appreciated;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

should be easy to do,
    only thing that may cause hassle is if pipe leading to the tank is rigid. (this may happen if tanks been there for ages and ages)

contact your fuel distributor. If they sell tanks then they'll change it for you and fill the new tank up too. they'll even bleed your burner if you dont know how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Just ensure a solid, evenly supported base for plactic tank to prevent stress and cracking. The older metal tanks tend to be supported by a few rows of blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thanks, yeah its probably rigid been there a while by the looks of it anyway. big old white square tank rusted to bits. i'll give texoil a ring and see what they say. theres a few blocks there already for the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

breadbin wrote: »
    thanks, yeah its probably rigid been there a while by the looks of it anyway. big old white square tank rusted to bits. i'll give texoil a ring and see what they say. theres a few blocks there already for the new one.

Read what Stapeler said again ! You can't just stick a few blocks under it. Usually about 3 lintles are used, sitting on 2 walls of blocks. The bottom of the tank must be completely supported.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

My choice would be a 6 inch slab of concrete. If height needs to come up then 3 or 4 rows of blocks and 9inch lintels on top to evenly support the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

stapeler wrote: »
    My choice would be a 6 inch slab of concrete. If height needs to come up then 3 or 4 rows of blocks and 9inch lintels on top to evenly support the tank.

There would usually be 2 walls of blocks with good foundations already there from the old tank. The lintels are then placed on the walls to give a flat base. This can also be a good time to move the tank to a more suitable location, if desired, - and of course good foundations are a must.
    Jim.

Thanks i saw that after i had posted that there needed to be a flat base for it. And yes its a good time to move it as you say. the tank itself is in a small concrete yard so foundation should not be a problem;-) thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

On the subject of oil tanks, is a bund required for a domestic oil tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

On the subject of oil tanks, is a bund required for a domestic oil tank?
    no

whats a bund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

breadbin wrote: »
    whats a bund?
    a wall built around tanks in case they fail and cause a serious enviromental accident

oh right. just as well i dont need one then.

Advertisement