Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a fishing break

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Herself is heading off with the girls for a holiday, so I've been granted 'permission' :rolleyes: to take myself away for a few days...

I'm thinking of heading off fishing somewhere - Ireland, UK, Europe - but looking for ideas.

I'm mainly coarse fishing, but wouldn't be adverse to a bit of sea fishing (calm weather only)

Ideally not somewhere that will take too long to get to as it will eat into fishing time - best option would be either accomodation on the river or lake, or sunny sea......

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts or ideas ?

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

leitrim cavan area has it all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Beginning March ...
    Pre-spawn pike feeding hard on loughs
    Spring salmon on the "early" rivers & loughs
    Good chance of a ferox trout

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lough Derg. Plenty of good spots from Killaloe to Mountshannon at the moment, and on the other shore from Ballina to Dromineer.

Pike are feeding heavily at the moment, some big shoals of bream, plenty of mixed smaller fish, and some big ferox trout that are going after trolled pike baits.

You are only talking a 20 minute drive from Limerick, and the place is full of B&Bs on both sides of the lough, and there are fishing cabins up near Mountshannon that get leased out. Shore fishing for bream etc is good at the moment in Garrykennedy, Dromineer, and between Killaloe to Ogonalloe.

Hire a small boat, Whelans in Killaloe (beside the bridge) are normally good for boat hire to fishermen, and you have the option of trolling for pike and ferox trout, as well as the ability to move from spot to spot easily.

Advertisement