Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver Birch - how big are the roots ?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭

I want to mask the houses over the wall at the end of the garden & was thinking of putting in three silver birch trees. However, I also have two greenhouses at the very end & dont want the roots of the trees to lift or distort them.

I'm north facing so not worries about los of light, just worried about glass breakage !! :confused:

Do the roots travel on the surface or are they underground ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Birch are not a big problem but watch out for Poplar and Willow - they are very risky!
    Have a look:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks - biggest worry is that they will surface & lift or distort the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Andip wrote: »
    I want to mask the houses over the wall at the end of the garden & was thinking of putting in three silver birch trees. However, I also have two greenhouses at the very end & dont want the roots of the trees to lift or distort them.

I'm north facing so not worries about los of light, just worried about glass breakage !! :confused:

Do the roots travel on the surface or are they underground ??

A typical safe distance to plant a birch tree from built objects is approx 10 metres (33ft), but please be aware that this is a guide only and that most people plant them a lot closer with no problems.
    However, the birch are quite shallow rooted, with roots surfacing at times.
    How far will the new trees be from the greenhouses?

Have a look here...... Silver Birch ... Betula pendula ... Beith Gheal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

A typical safe distance to plant a birch tree from built objects is approx 10 metres (33ft), but please be aware that this is a guide only and that most people plant them a lot closer with no problems.
    However, the birch are quite shallow rooted, with roots surfacing at times.
    How far will the new trees be from the greenhouses?

Have a look here...... Silver Birch ... Betula pendula ... Beith Gheal

As close as I can safely get them - the idea is to put the trees at the back wall of the garden & the greenhouses in front of them - we're north facing, so no light issues - if I move the greenhouses forward it will cause all sorts of problems for me.......

Ideally I want the trees a couple of feet from the wall & the greenhouses a couple of feet forward from them..

Advertisement