Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revamp of Limerick Art College

Options
  • 04-03-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Art college has designs on revamped campus
    by Pamela Duncan

RICHARD Ruth, Head of the Limerick School of Art and Design, talks to Pamela Duncan about the changes going on on campus and the role that the college has played in Limerick’s artistic development.

THE imposing stature of the former Good Shepherd convent, with its towering steeple and the images of two sacred hearts flanking the main door, gives the impression of humble reverence and austerity therein.

Of course, appearances can be deceptive.

Inside the once hushed halls are a hive of creativity. At every turn and in every nook brightly dressed students immerse themselves in their art: In one corner, a painter daubs colours across a canvass while across the way, a photographer takes snaps of a dilapidated wall.

A sense of creativity and freedom of expression pervades, and one cannot help but wonder how the two disparate uses for this building have merged so well.

"Nothing has really changed from the existing building, just the personality of the occupants in terms of the way they see things,” Richard Ruth says nonchalantly. The building has housed the college since 1994.

"I presume for most Limerick people it has the connotations of the Good Shepherd convent and the happenings therein but for us it’s a wonderful arts school. Everyone likes the atmosphere in here, the feeling of being welcomed,” he says.

"Art and design is an investigative activity which is exploring new language and new ways of seeing, recognising and recording things, so it’s always active and it’s always busy. It’s a wonderful environment to be in and totally different to what it used to be”.

And the changes keep coming. A crane looms over the steeple of the convent’s church and blue tarpaulins and hard hats mark the next phase in the evolution of the building.

A 9.6 million euro refurbishment scheme is now in its final stages. It is hoped that the refurbishment of the former Good Shepherd convent, built in 1852, will be completed by the start of the new college year.

Mr Ruth explains that while the aim is to gain space, that they wish to maintain the integrity of the structure:

"Essentially, the majority of the building will be as it is. The refurbishment will have partly modern architecture but it’s going to be a blend of the old and the new, predominantly the old. That will be the main ingredient,” he promises.

It is still unsure what will happen to the college’s George’s Quay premises when construction finishes on the Clare Street premises.

"We had a plan to turn it into a retail village plus residents for artists and exhibition areas and so on but whether that’s viable economically I don’t know,” he said.

The most exciting prospects of the revamp is the conversion of part of the church into a gallery.

"It’s going to be fantastic. It’s going to lead directly into the church and will allow for major exhibitions, both internal and external,” he said, adding that he hopes that this will lead to a more open relationship between the college, the artistic community and the general public.

"We’re becoming more active in our contact with the outside world and that’s the way it should be. We’re only seven minutes from the city centre here, so I hope that we would integrate into the city”.

Mr Ruth explains that the sculpture and combined media course are involved in public art projects. One such exhibition will see students from LSAD design a permanent artwork for Bedford Row, currently awaiting approval from Limerick City Council.

However, it is not just in Limerick that the college is making its mark. Not a semester goes by where the LSAD does not feature in a major national or indeed, international competition.

Most recently two Russian design students, Alina Vologzhanina, (20), and Lena Bezborodova, (19), won a European-wide DiverseCity creation award for their poster designed to promote equality and diversity.

So how important are these awards for the college?

"I think they’re incredibly important because what they do is let people know that we’re still here and that we’re performing at a very high level nationally and internationally in terms of competitions. As long as I’ve been here we’ve won some sort of award, major award, every year. We all benefit from that, including the city itself”.

But he says that the city has gained from the college in other ways, too.

For one thing, LSAD is considered the country’s forerunner and this has also come to bear on Limerick: "I think the city is now synonymous with fashion design,” Mr Ruth says.

He adds that, in the 38 years he has been in Limerick, he has witnessed graduates of every type of discipline taking their skills from the art college and apply them in the city.

He believes that in this way the college has made a lasting contribution with graphic designers, printmakers, painters, ceramicists, sculptors, as well as fashion graduates, setting up shop in Limerick.

"From a city which had no artisans as such, say in the mid seventies, we now have a thriving creative city. You can see it with the Belltable and all the things that are happening here. I think there has been a great achievement by LSAD in terms of the artistic community and by other people who are spurred on by the need for creative outlets.

"I think people are becoming more sophisticated and it’s quality more than quantity that they’re after. They’re more educated in the arts and they attend more festivals. There’s a curiosity that’s very healthy in Limerick society”.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Moving away from all the recent negativity around these parts, it's worth remembering the huge strides the Art college has made in recent years.

People often complain about the fact that Limerick lags behind Cork and Galway in terms of art etc, but you need to remember LSAD is a relatively new school, it takes decades for a community of artists to make an appreciable difference in an area. As it is, the area around the art college is all the better for having the campus located there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Alina Vologzhanina

Does anyone know this girl from above, she goes to the limerick institute of technology...Found her wallet at planetlove at the weekend would love to give it back to her....If anyone knows her or can send me her number or tell her to get in contact....that would be great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

gazz, PM sent, and, as an update, i texted one of the girls, and she knows her well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

all sorted now,thanks for everyones help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

gazz, can u stick ur address in with it for her, i think she wants to send thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement