Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting brake cables and housing

Options
  • 04-03-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Any tips out there for good cutting tools for the cables? How do you stop the ends being frayed? Also, what's the best way of putting the little metal ends on the cable housing after you cut the housing to size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A proper cable cutter will do it nice and cleanly. Alternatively a hacksaw will cut the outer pretty well. The cutter will also have a section for crimping the cable-end.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=cutter&x=0&y=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thanks for that. Any DIY fixes for stopping the ends fraying. I've used duct tape on the POS but don't want that on a nicer bike. Anyone ever try super-glu? (after threading it through of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If only someone invented cable ends.........

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can buy a bag of cable ends for a couple of quid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I see Tunney got there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Or you could solder the end, but I've found it a bit harder to get on gear cable than break cable.
    EDIT: Fixed typo's; it made no frickin' sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A dab of superglue is the bet bet if you don't have a new cable end. I bought a box of 1000 a couple of years ago which should keep me going for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

So I'm guessing you don't have to solder the cable end on then? How does it go on? (:o)

OK, I see it's just crimped on (I think)

Yes, it's crimped

Advertisement