Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passing test mid year

Options
  • 04-03-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

My wife passed her driving test, she has 6 months left until her insurance renewal, I would of thought she would be entitled to a partial refund on her policy due to the change in circumstances. Her insurance company says she is not.

Does anybody know what should happen in this case, I know when I passed mine 7 years ago I got some money back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That does seem very odd, when i passed about 6 months ago i got a refund on my insurance, now it wasn't a huge amount but i did get something, perhaps ring again and see if it was someone making a mistake??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I got a partial rebate, as did my wife - doesn't sound right to me. The only circumstance I can think of (which is unlikely) is that she wasn't being charged more for being on a provisional license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I got my insurance end of June last year, and I passed my test there in Nov -and was due a rebate. They messed it all up anyways and took til end of Jan before they started it and so I'm only getting something silly like 40 quid back...which they've yet to send out.

but AFAIK you are entitled to rebate (Although terms and conditions may be different with companies / policies)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got a rebate when I passed my bike test about 5 years ago too. Didn't have my own policy when I passed the car one though.

Is the insurance policy in her own name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

I was a named driver on my mothers policy when i passed my test 2 yrs ago and i got a rebate. not much mind since i passed my test 9 months into the year, but money none the less!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Had she done anything like the Hibernian ignition course? I remember somebody posted that they got no discount after passing the official test as they had done the ignition course and Hibernian considered it to be at least as good as the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Is she a named driver on your policy on has she her own?

If she is a named driver, do you know how much it cost to put her on the insurance?

I do know of cases where it did not cost anything to add a spouse to the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin_s wrote: »
    The only circumstance I can think of (which is unlikely) is that she wasn't being charged more for being on a provisional license.
    This is possible. I put my gf on a car some time back when she was on a provisional, and there was no extra charge. As you say though, it may not be that likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anan1 wrote: »
    This is possible. I put my gf on a car some time back when she was on a provisional, and there was no extra charge. As you say though, it may not be that likely.
    When I did that (she has full license), I got about €200 off my renewal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Usually if you have an insured and spouse policy there is no rebate due mid year as you are already getting a cheaper insurance policy than most.

If she is on her own policy without anyone named on it then you should ring again and ask them to double check. If you're with a broker, insist that they ring the insurance company to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

stevec wrote: »
    When I did that (she has full license), I got about €200 off my renewal!
    Your gf must be a lot safer than mine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The policy was in her own name and she hadn't done the ignition course. She is insured with AXA. I'll get her to ring again.

I'm sure they should offer a rebate though, if she needed to change the policy which would result in more of a risk on the insurance companies side you could be sure she'd be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

The same happened my wife after she got her full licence , they already had applied the full discount to her policy when she was on a provisional , she was also with axa .

Advertisement