Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex Duo-Heat Storage heaters

• 04-03-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am looking at upgrading my apartment which currently has older Dimplex Storage heaters with Dimplex Duo Heaters.
    See: http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/installed_heating/duoheat_radiator/index.htm

And was wondering if anyone here has them installed and how they work out. I know they are more expensive to buy but are much cheaper and better suited to run (in that you can use a central timer system to ensure rooms are warm when you want) It uses storage heat from night saver and low wattage convection heat to boost and keep comfort levels when you want.
    So anyone have these installed and what are your experiences with them please?
    thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

gibo_ie wrote: »
    I know they are more expensive to buy but are much cheaper and better suited to run
    I don't think you'll find them cheaper to run. Generally these heaters use a lot of full rate electricity to keep a comfortable temp in the evenings.
    I think you would also need to have a larger number of Duo heaters than you would have of traditional storage heaters to get the benefit of the clever controls.
    As far as I can see the Duoheat system only works well when the system is operating below max capacity.
    Also bear in mind that the largest Duoheat is the 500i which is 2.6KW, as against the largest combi or storage heater which is 3.4KW.
    Insulation is always the key to successful storage heating. If you can upgrade that, it would be money better spent than on Duoheat.
    I do a lot of apartments and none of the major developers have gone with Duoheat, even though they're always looking for improvements that look good in the sales brochure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I agree with Hoagy - you won't save any money by changing storage heaters. You have to burn electricity to generate heat regardless of the heater you use.
    Some of these products are quite gimmicky with minor advantages such as built in heaters running in the daytime on high rate electricity

Again insulation is the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dave Fox!

Hi could anybody please tell me how to set the time on my storage heaters to come on at night as to let the stored heat out during the day and come on again at the same time the next night????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 labelleshell

Hi Dave, having same issue muself. I used to have the background heat storing the heat over night and releasing during the day with no need to use the Comfort heat (expensive tarriff) however I switched it all off while away at christmas and lost the presettings that i was using. Now the backgrounbd stored heat isn't working anymore.

The booklet which came with the duoheater didn't work well for me before so a mate set it up for me to get it working. Now I'm lost again !! Been using the comfort heat most recently but know that costs a bomb !

Did you hear frm anyone ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement