Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle Drive

• 04-03-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Myself and a couple of friends are thinking about heading off on a cattle drive/dude ranch type holiday during the summer, has anybody on here ever done something similar or have any experience of them? Wheres a good place to go that caters for fairly experienced riders? Any ideas of what to expect etc? Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Many many years ago in Australia I did a few long sheep drives on horseback.It wasn't a holiday,it was work but it was fun nonetheless.A holiday deal will prob provide bedding,food etc and advise you on clothes but stay away from jods,you want cotton next to your skin for the number of hours you'll be in the saddle.WRANGLER jeans are best,they have the flattest inside leg seam.Your own full chaps are a good idea too-I prefer the waxed cotton ones over leather.If you haven't done Western riding before(and you'll be hooked after this!) a couple of lessons before you go is a good idea,it's easy to do but the seat position and style is very different.TAKE TALCUM POWDER AND PLENTY OF SOCKS,wool for mountain work,cotton for desert.Sun block and insect repellant.At least 2prs of good leather gloves.Western boots are a good idea too,the heel is higher and if you end up doing any quick maneuvers like cutting work they'll reduce the chance of slipping through the stirrup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thanks Lurchin, good advice there :) We're thinking of going on a cattle drive in the USA somewhere, were looking for something that we would be actively involved in and by holiday i mean -away from home- dont mean relaxing on beach with coctails :P

We just want to work hard, have good horses and really enjoy it with plenty of good laughs thrown in. What is the atomosphere like in the camps at night etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Ah well,this was 1980's Australian outback,I think a Texas dude ranch might be a little different.Depending on who the other guests are,I'd expect a few moody moments as stiff and sore tourists get into the swing of things but I think you'll find the hosts able to make sure no one spoils it for anyone.American ranch hospitality is justifiably famous!I was out for 6-8weeks as the only female with a dozen or so Aussie drovers and aborigines.They don't see too many women that far outback and they were hugely shy.Someone would have a guitar or a mouth organ and after an easy day there'd be a bit of campfire craic but what cracked me up was the way the boys would shriek and disappear if I so much as undid a button on my shirt! After a while they'd relax enough to stop trying to do everything for me,curry my horses,tack up for me etc but the sexual shyness never changed.The riding was less challenging than cattle work as the dogs did all the running,we were just tagging along mostly.We'd hunt roos every few days for the dogs and that was exciting riding but the best thing is the camaraderie that builds up between people sharing a tough job.That's something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think (I could be wrong) but in August they do a cattle drive in the Five Oaks Ranch in Donegal.

http://www.westernridingireland.com/

I just checked and its one of my pictures from Killkenny on the front page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Hi,
    Zaras planet do holidays across the world and do a few in usa with ranching etc. Im heading on a riding hol to italy with them in a few weeks so I will let you know what they are like to deal with - they have been great so far. might be worth getting yourself one of their brochures for a look?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

i went on a cattle drive in south dakota in 2004. it was absolutely amazing - getting up at 5am and riding out at sunrise....wed ride all day long in serious heat! it wasnt easy - but it was out of this world. you should definetly go on one!!!

Advertisement