Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault megane coupe

Options
  • 04-03-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Any got any opinions on the renault megane coupe. nice looking car but is it reliable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You'll get an anti-Renault brigade any minute now who will rant about how awful all Renaults are. Remember that they will have a subjective opinion based on (in many cases) limited experience.

I bought a Megane Coupe new in 99 (the facelifted version). 1.6 sport and it was a beautiful car, nippy, comfortable, well put together and handy on the twisty stuff. In the 4 or 5 years we owned the car we NEVER were let down by it. Nor did we ever have strange electrical problems. Fairly economical and didn't cost a fortune to keep on the road either.

We sold it because we had a second child and it's not really a family car but I would strongly reccomend getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My gf has an 01 Megane Coupé 1.6 auto. It's been utterly reliable, very well equipped too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Honest John's view. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi,

I bought one of the very last (older model) ones in 2003 (it was a 1.4) - and had a bad (but not really bad) experience with it.

The positives:
    - I liked the car and enjoyed driving. Not it wasn't very quick or the best handling car, but I found it fun to drive.
    - It could seat four and (in my opinion) it looked good and still does.
    - It was very well equiped and comfortable to sit in.

The negatives:
    - I had problems with the car both initially (a list of things, but the garage sorted them all out, after a couple of tries!) and later on, again fixed by Renault - but more time sitting around in a garage!
    - Once my daughter was born it turned into a liability, the boot is big, but access is bad so her buggy was a pain to get in and out - the back seats are low so lifting in and out a baby seat was hard on the back!
    - Selling it was a nightmare and cost me a fortune - it took six months to sell and ended up costing me thousands.

I would also say that at the time I bought it we weren't thinking about kids, but things change, and after this experience I would recommend anyone thinking about it (or a car like it) to have thought about what they use their car for today and will be using it for over the lifetime of the car!

If the price is right, a mechanic has given it a very good once over, you like it and you're happy that it will meet your needs until you're going to sell it then go for it. But please consider all these things.....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Sorry should have checked - which Megane Coupe do you mean OP?

The new one, 2003 onwards (with the folding roof):
    renault_megane_coupe_cabriolet__a_.MainPar.0001.Image.gif

Or the older one:
    15760266__1194625829__1__1-2026aac4ae8e5725601ca304324767c0.__big__.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I shifted ours as a part ex and didn't feel particularly hard done by on the price offered. All depends on your expectation.

Valid point on useability that applies not just to the Megane Coupe but any sporty looking car - you trade practicality for looks. Case in point (as you said) the Megane Coupe looks like a hatchback but isn't and so has strange size & shape boot opening.

As a single / younger persons car or a second car it's still a great choice though.

Advertisement