Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bed

Options
  • 04-03-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Quick Q..

I recently moved into a flat and have been having pretty bad back pains since I started sleeping in the bed. It's a pretty old and cheap looking matress so I reclon that's the cause. Is it my landlords obligation to replace this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

If it's only a few days since you moved, the pains in your back could be from moving boxes and furniture around. This happened to me before that's how I know. I thought it was the mattress as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the mattress is old, worn and unusable (that's the key) then yes the landlord has an obligation to replace it.

However, he'll probably just replace it with a similarly cheap mattress that won't help a bit. If you're going to be there more than six months, splash out on a decent mattress for yourself (€300+) and take it with you when you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I wouldn't think the landlord is obliged to provide a new one if the old one isn't broken (usable as Seamus said). Throughout my rented years I brought a mattress I had bought from flat to flat with me (in fact it resides in my spare room now). I didn't like the thought of sleeping on an old used mattress. 300e well spent.

Advertisement