Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo thermostat

Options
  • 04-03-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Any Volvo drivers out there? How does your temp gauge behave?

Just noticed the wifes V70 gauge is almost always low while moving, only getting to mid-range in heavy traffic. I don't drive this car often so hadn't noticed normal behaviour but I'd expect to see a gauge in the mid-range after about 15 mins or so.
    Same thing happened on the 156 in January and a new thermostat got things in order. I reckon this is the same but just curious how a normal stat usually behaves - any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cjt156 wrote: »
    Any Volvo drivers out there? How does your temp gauge behave?

Just noticed the wifes V70 gauge is almost always low while moving, only getting to mid-range in heavy traffic. I don't drive this car often so hadn't noticed normal behaviour but I'd expect to see a gauge in the mid-range after about 15 mins or so.
    Same thing happened on the 156 in January and a new thermostat got things in order. I reckon this is the same but just curious how a normal stat usually behaves - any takers?

Yep sounds like the stat is gone... its good that these days they seem to fail in the open or semi open position... the internal heater in the car probably doesn't work too well... you could well be using more petrol too as the engine is not running at normal working temperature...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep sounds like the stat is gone... its good that these days they seem to fail in the open or semi open position... the internal heater in the car probably doesn't work too well... you could well be using more petrol too as the engine is not running at normal working temperature...

All true.

It does sound like the stat is stuck open. It should remain closed and only open when the engine is at normal operating temperature - somewhere around 90C.

Advertisement