Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equi sales

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is boards position on buying and selling horses on this site. I would like to propose an area where regular users of the forum (30+posts?) could help each other source or sell horses. However if it is boards policy not to sell animals here then that is grand too.

Just thought id suggest it and see.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The policy on boards and adverts.ie is no sale of animals as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Living creatures and unauthorised/illegal wildlife products.
    The sale of live creatures and illegal wildlife products is prohibited, and this includes any type of pet or livestock. Furthermore, the sale of unauthorised wildlife items is prohibited. This includes illegal animal byproducts (skins, organs, tissue, bones, feathers, etc.) of animals and endangered species. As with all products posted to our site, please be sure to conduct proper research to ensure that your items are in compliance with all laws.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Thanks guys. Should have researched it better!! Fair enough.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Isn't there a big difference between selling a cat/dog and selling a horse? Don't they value at more then most car's? Require constant care and attention and proper facilities and grounds that can be easily checked and verified?

Just because something is against the rules doesn't mean you cant appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are laws controlling the sale of animals though, as opposed to cars which are just objects.

Given that our Government has a strong horsey biase, I imagine there are specific laws covering the sale of horses and ponies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

krazy_8s wrote: »
    Isn't there a big difference between selling a cat/dog and selling a horse? Don't they value at more then most car's? Require constant care and attention and proper facilities and grounds that can be easily checked and verified?

Just because something is against the rules doesn't mean you cant appeal it.
    And there will be no selling of live animals on adverts.ie.

We even ban for goldfish.

t210660415_9625_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sherifu wrote: »
    t210660415_9625_2.jpg
    :D:D

seamus wrote: »
    There are laws controlling the sale of animals though, as opposed to cars which are just objects.

Given that our Government has a strong horsey biase, I imagine there are specific laws covering the sale of horses and ponies.

Actually no. There are very little regulations when it comes to selling horses.

Can someone tell me why there is no selling of livestock? As opposed to selling a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

togster wrote: »
    Actually no. There are very little regulations when it comes to selling horses.

Can someone tell me why there is no selling of livestock? As opposed to selling a car.
    The fact that you even have to ask that would suggest to me that you're not the type of person who should be involved in the selling of anything.

• Advertisement

Amz wrote: »
    The fact that you even have to ask that would suggest to me that you're not the type of person who should be involved in the selling of anything.

Are you still bitter? Jeez get over it. I asked a genuine question. Not whats the difference between a horse and a car. Whats the difference legality wise in relation to selling them.

If you have nothing constructive to say keep your opinions to yourself please.

As someone who's trying to establish the buying and selling of horses via boards, one would hope that you'd at least have or attempt to acquire some knowledge on the legal situation surrounding same.

And bitter? About what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well I guess if you want to sell a car to someone, you don't really care if they plan to cut up the car. But, you probably have a duty of care to the animal when you're selling horses. Now, I'm guessing that you don't legally have to ensure that the horse is going to a good home, but it's less hassle for the admins, and there is less chance of it coming back to bite them (the issue, not the horse) if they simply say "no trading of live animals". That's to say, I'm sure you're grand, toggy, but it'd be a nightmare to have to check everyone. Easier just to say Neigh.

LOL thanks i actually never thought of it that way. I can appreciate that and understand the admins reluctance. So it's to ensure the welfare of the animal which is only right i guess.

Thanks everybody

And bitter? About what exactly?

Doesn't matter. I wasn't really proposing a selling section, more an area where forum members could help source horse or put people in touch with owners wishing to sell. I was just inquiring tbh.

tbh wrote: »
    ...it's less hassle for the admins, and there is less chance of it coming back to bite them...
    True, nobody wants to be saddled with that. Better to rein it in now. Shows a good tack. Better keep things on a short bridle.

togster wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. I wasn't really proposing a selling section, more an area where forum members could help source horse or put people in touch with owners wishing to sell. I was just inquiring tbh.
    So you attacked me for no reason.

Good work there.

So you attacked me for no reason.

Good work there.

Amz.... i dunno what to say really other than sorry for attacking you:rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow. So many things wrong with this approach, so little time. So, closed.

No selling live animals on the site. Its not that we wont ever do that but for now, no animals thanks.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement