Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you leaving Galway ?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm leaving Galway because
    - Lack of decent jobs
    - Bad Traffic Congestion
    - Poor Public Transport

I'm sure I'll miss it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

galway008 wrote: »
    I'm leaving Galway because
    - Lack of decent jobs
    - Bad Traffic Congestion
    - Poor Public Transport

I'm sure I'll miss it.

Just as a matter of interest where are you going that will provide good job opportunities, little traffic congestion and good public transport? I can only assume you are moving to Switzerland ;) as it can't be anywhere in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

London

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

You'll definitely miss Galway then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

London

I came the other way as after 10yrs there the time spent travelling really started to get to me, even with the frequent public transport - but then I'm an old fart and London is for the rich or the young.
    Hope you enjoy your time there, I had a ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

MattKid wrote: »
    You'll definitely miss Galway then

Yeah, Galway is infinitely superior to London...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

London

Hmm. I think London and Galway are sort of apples and oranges comparison wise. If yer up for trying living in a giant city for a while, def go for it - I can't speak to London specifically, but definitely enjoyed living in a bigger city for a number of years. Then felt is why time to try and a smaller one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

London vs Galway...lived in both, Galway far superior...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

There's many of decent jobs but it all depend of your expectations.

London? Ya, it's much bigger. More companies, more jobs. But remember there's also more people and remember that London is a destination for more people than Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not leaving ... but if I was it would be:

- to go home (overseas) because my friends are there,

- because I couldn't get a decent job (I have for now, but who knows what'll happen if a multi-national pulls out).

- because the churches/parishes are so unfriendly and conservative (there's no way I'd still be catholic if I didn't know that it can be better than it is here).

Oh, or maybe for love, but I'm kinda cynical about that one happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

London vs Galway...lived in both, Galway far superior...

Horses for courses I guess.

I suppose different people have different priorities depending on their stage of life. I was made redundant from a really good job. I searched around for quite a while but have failed to find another suitable job. I also don't forsee much coming up in the near future. Anything decent seams to go to Dublin, which is another whole topic. I couldn't handle Dublin with the current state of trafiic and poor public transport. London seams a good choice and is nearly easier to get to than Dublin. I have worked there before so I know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I suppose different people have different priorities depending on their stage of life. I was made redundant from a really good job. I searched around for quite a while but have failed to find another suitable job. I also don't forsee much coming up in the near future. Anything decent seams to go to Dublin, which is another whole topic. I couldn't handle Dublin with the current state of trafiic and poor public transport. London seams a good choice and is nearly easier to get to than Dublin. I have worked there before so I know what to expect.

Good luck with the move. i agree totally with your decision - and its one i would love to do myself at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I'm living in London now and I quite enjoy it. I do miss Galway though and really enjoy coming back home whenever I get a chance.

Galway unfortunately does not have very much to offer a lot of people in terms of career opportunities .. and the social scene turns the place into a graveyard of ambition. I wasted or lost many years of my life to partying in Galway .. and while I had a great time I should have left about 5 years before I did.

London is fantastic in that there is so much opportunity for people. There is also so much to do here that doesnt revolve around drinking. While the transport system is good, the commute to and fro from work can take its toll eventually. And London is seriously expensive .. the second most expensive city in the world after Moscow. The wages here are about 10% more on average though than the rest of the Uk.

The community feel of Galway is the thing that I think you will miss most .. that and being able to walk everywhere. London is good for a few years to build yourslef a good career but I think everybody has their eye on moving somewhere quiter once they get more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I'm leaving cause I'm finished work..but I'll be back again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Playboy wrote: »
    There is also so much to do here that doesnt revolve around drinking.

One of the reasons I moved to Galway was because there is so much to do here that doesn't revolve around drinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

Stevo11 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I moved to Galway was because there is so much to do here that doesn't revolve around drinking...

and you were no doubt crushed by dissapointment when you actually got here?

(yeah, good come back .. * cough * )
    still here years later, still enjoying it..
    It just takes a little bit of imagination to realise theres a whole world outside the pub door.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

London

Are you actually trying to compare Galway to London?! Jesus wept :D

Theres only oh...7.4 million population difference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I'll be leaving in a few months cause I was to silly to get into college here! So it's off to England/Scotland for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

Stevo11 wrote: »
    (yeah, good come back .. * cough * )

It wasnt a comeback.

A "comeback" is usually provoked as a result of a direct insult.

It was simply a remark/comment.

The fact that you;'d even think I was insulting you is moronic.

agreed!
    My intended implication was "yeah, good one * cough *" as opposed to implying that your reply was to an earlier insult (which would be moronic as you've rightly pointed out.)

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Enjoy London.

Your in for a shock when you move to London though. Its trying to get back to Galway i am but every time i try to get closer i end up further away.

I have started already and its NO shock, quite pleasant really.

Nice to work in a job you like and not have to spend an hour sitting in your car to travel 4 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I've grown up in Galway, why am i leaving?? well off to better things!
    But i do have to agree with some of the comments, their is always room for improving you home town, but this is basically it, everyone becomes do disagree of allot of things in their home town. it's Naturally, for you get fed up of no change!

Well change of scene is always good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I love Galway, having hit Dub & London before I decided the city girl in me only liked quiet cities. Traffic never bothers me, leave before it or after it every day or just bike it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

moving to cardiff for a PhD, I love galway - I've lived here for 22 years, but I really don't like the whole culture thats manifesting itself at the moment... the city is changing and its not for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

moving to cardiff for a PhD, I love galway - I've lived here for 22 years, but I really don't like the whole culture thats manifesting itself at the moment... the city is changing and its not for the greater good.
    What exactly is it you don't like about the current culture? (I'm new to Galway and don't go out on the town that much, so I have limited experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I have started already and its NO shock, quite pleasant really.

Nice to work in a job you like and not have to spend an hour sitting in your car to travel 4 miles.

Good for you, big up yourself and all that. Pretty pathetic that you'd leave a city because you're frustrated with traffic

• Advertisement

I'm going moving back to Galway soon from London, bringing my job with me thankfully.

I'm looking forward to my basic monthly out goings (rent + council tax + trains etc) falling from about £900 per month to living within walking distance of work and paying €400 per month.

Currently from my front door to my desk is about 1H15. I won't miss that.

Advertisement