Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you leaving Galway ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Galway versus London?
    :eek:
    Galway mght have the advantages that being a town bring but for life, energy, originality and buzz London is one of the top five cities in the world. Galway tends to be a boozers town.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

blogga wrote: »
    Galway versus London?
    :eek:
    Galway mght have the advantages that being a town bring but for life, energy, originality and buzz London is one of the top five cities in the world. Galway tends to be a boozers town.

population difference of about 7.2 million. Its like comparing Dublin to Barna

FFS people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Personally I'd hate to live in London. The size and buzz is overrated and can drive you mad. I have done it for a brief period. I'd much rather live in Cambridge, or a place of a size like Galway. I thought a while back there was a lack of jobs in Cambridge, but London was just as hard a market from what I could gather. It wasn't the place it was me. Maybe you just aren't looking with the right strategy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

ciotog wrote: »
    What exactly is it you don't like about the current culture? (I'm new to Galway and don't go out on the town that much, so I have limited experience)

I guess I'm just at saturation point with the place. I've seen it when it was less busy and descend into what it is now. I love the fact that the city has gotten "bigger" i.e. there's a more diverse crowd and I welcome that. We always had that in the city - however in my personal opinion - the "atmosphere" has changed somewhat. The city is not as friendly as it used to be, its not safe or patrolled half as well as it should be by the Gardai.

Don't get me wrong, if you come to Galway, you'll have a great time!!! Galway is by far one of the best cities in the world, you'll still get that boho vibe in quay street in the summer, random things happening on shop street - from protests to exhibitions, the market is just brilliant and the scenery in the country is breathtaking. The music and craic is great, you can go have a sesiun ceol tradisiunta san aras na Gaeilge, sketch long walk from the claddagh pier, feed swans at nimmo's, go running by the river in dangan, walk around the university campus, chill on the canals, there's a wealth of great places to eat out, you can walk to virtually anywhere you want, shopping is good, you can walk the prom, watch the sun set in silver strand etc You should definately come - its great!

There's lots to do and see - but as a native - its a personal quandary that I have, I think it has gone down in tone a little from watching it over the past few years. I'm leaving because I need to, I have to, I also have a little bit of wanderlust. Its just the irish thing I guess. I'm sick of walking through puke on shop street, I think the place has gotten very aggressive in recent times. As I say, if you are not from here, you probably won't notice it. I just don't like it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Interesting to hear. I guess a lot has to do with where you are on the mental/personality landscape at a particular point in time. For me, Galway is great because I returned to Ireland last year and your description above is accurate.

As a native of the town I can see how you would need to find your own place for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

I love Galway. There is no where else I'd rather be EVER. Personally, i detest London, but I know people who love it. It's just not for me. The only thing that has recently started to bug me about Galway is the severe lack of basic manners, and Shop Street being wegded.

Advertisement