Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***A Good Start For All***

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

OR! as it turns out you could just read the one stickied!!!......great.............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Another excellent tips post, cheers for that! I'll merge your post into the tips & tricks sticky at some stage if thats ok with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Sounds Good Cornbb Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

It has been widely proven that a PC with same spec as a mac pro costs the same or even more.
    It is wrong to say a PC is cheaper, but it is correct to say you CAN buy a cheaper PC.

As regards Thomann, I have mentioned it many times on this board that links should be made the manufacturers sites when recommending equipment.

Thomann are doing serious damage to the musical retail economy of this country (I am also in the MI retail business) and if you do a little digging you will find that most things can be bought for the same price (or very close) locally, with much better after sales service.

Endorsing one retailer like this is anti competitive and I don't understand the policies of this board where you cannot plug your own services without jumping through hoops, yet people can persistently plug a foreign retailer and it is ok to do so.
    Michael

It has been widely proven that a PC with same spec as a mac pro costs the same or even more.
    It is wrong to say a PC is cheaper, but it is correct to say you CAN buy a cheaper PC.

As regards Thomann, I have mentioned it many times on this board that links should be made the manufacturers sites when recommending equipment.

Thomann are doing serious damage to the musical retail economy of this country (I am also in the MI retail business) and if you do a little digging you will find that most things can be bought for the same price (or very close) locally, with much better after sales service.

Endorsing one retailer like this is anti competitive and I don't understand the policies of this board where you cannot plug your own services without jumping through hoops, yet people can persistently plug a foreign retailer and it is ok to do so.
    Michael

I'd disagree with what you say about PCs and price but thats beside the point...

As for the Thomann thing, there's no rule for or against it. I've no problem with it personally as long as people realise its just a handy way of getting guideline prices and not an endorsement. There's a whole sticky dedicated to Thomann on the Instruments forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=125

If you'd like to go about getting the rules changed then it might be an idea to post your thoughts in the "Is this forum getting commercial?" thread where we've asked for feedback on the forum charter.

I explicitly stated that i used thomann as it has pics and guide prices! My god....... What the hell is going on in this bloody forum. I think its time for a global COP THE HELL ON

• Advertisement

I've merged your post into the "how do I record stuff?" sticky, I think that would be the best place for it. Again, great work.

As for the thomann thing again, if anyone wants to speak up about any issues surrounding the commercial rules of the forum please do so in the "Is this forum getting too commercial?" thread, remembering to keep things civilised and on-topic.

Hmmm! Interesting read actually. But the articles all admit that the prices compare favourably only in certain scenarios (eg high end desktop machines). And its well-known in PC circles that high-end machines (Dells in particular) are significantly overpriced compared to similarly configured roll-your-own machines (not possible with a Mac). I'd like to see an unbalanced article written comparing multiple macs with multiple PC manufacturers. I don't think I've ever come across a Mac vs PC study on the internet that wasn't biased one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Michael

Well I would suppose if Mr Thomann started advertising here then he would be in trouble. 1st impressions last when it comes to dealing with music stores in Ireland. Hece why i would not buy from any of the Dublin guitar shops.

As for the price diff, its huge on certain products. If i really thought I could get it for the same price in Ireland I'd buy in Ireland.

As for starting off.

Get the best you can afford and always keep in mind that you will more or less sell it on, so choose wisely. Buy cheap buy twice.

Don't give into hipe about a product, read reviews and ask users of the gear what they think.

Knowledge is power!

lads this isnt really the issue. I wasnt using thomann for prices as such. Thomann can give relative prices to itself which is what i was trying to get it. The most important thing was pictures and basic specs. If audiowarehouse or musicmaker or big bear sound or whatever gave pics and basic specs with prices relative to other products i would have used them as references. GROW UP?!?!?! What is going on. I was laughing at them all before but now it has become insane

• Advertisement
Advertisement