Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistering for Vote

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello,

I have a dilemma, last year while I was way from the house a government inspector came around and automatically registered everyone for the vote.

All well and good, however, I don't want to vote in this sham democracy.

I have contacted Fingal council many times by e mail and telephone and they seem unwilling to remove my name, always some stupid excuse.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I fail to see why you need to post this tbh, seeing as you probably wouldn't vote anyway. Whether you want to or not it is a right of every citizen and the council is doing its job. Maybe you would like to say exactly what is wrong with it and how you think it could be improved or fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hmm interesting there must be form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have contacted Fingal council many times by e mail and telephone and they seem unwilling to remove my name, always some stupid excuse.

It's quite possible that they don't have a procedure for it, as most likely noone has ever previously made such a pointless request in the history of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 WanderingJew

is_that_so wrote: »
    I fail to see why you need to post this tbh, seeing as you probably wouldn't vote anyway.
    Well for a start, I like privacy, a forgotten concept nowadays.

Also, from what I have heard, inclusion on the voting registrar automatically dictates inclusion on other things.

Maybe you would like to say exactly what is wrong with it and how you think it could be improved or fixed.

Democracy is a joke, something to make the masses think they have free choice. You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Isn't it a legal requirement to be registered to vote? Whether one does vote or not is irrelevant to registration.

• Advertisement

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Isn't it a legal requirement to be registered to vote? Whether one does vote or not is irrelevant to registration.

Does this not fly in the face of democracy. "You HAVE to register".

Shakes head in disgust.

Emm no because there are eligibility rules; age, national/non-national.

Emm no because there are eligibility rules; age, national/non-national.

Indeed there are but the electoral register is used by credit reference agencies and tracing agents as a way of finding absconded debtors. Perhaps that is why it is a requirement.

Shakes head in disgust.

No it doesn't because having to register does NOT mean you HAVE to vote :)

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Indeed there are but the electoral register is used by credit reference agencies and tracing agents as a way of finding absconded debtors. Perhaps that is why it is a requirement.

Exactly, so again we have a government/corporate cabal, dressed in the name of democracy.

• Advertisement

Anybody can look it up and it is regularly used for junk mail as well. I personally don't have a problem with people who owe money being hunted down.

Anybody can look it up and it is regularly used for junk mail as well. I personally don't have a problem with people who owe money being hunted down.

You strike me as the type of person who would go along with anything.

So what people are saying is that I have no right to privacy, I have to be registered. I have to join the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shakes head in disgust.
    Democracy provides you with the right to choose who your leaders are. It has nothing whatsoever to do with registering to vote.

I don't however see any requirement to register, but I may be wrong.

Your privacy is an illusion. Removing yourself from the register won't make you any more anonymous than you are now.

Believe it or not, you're just one of four million people with private data in this country. It's a bit arrogant to think that anyone cares about your data in particular.

seamus wrote: »
    Democracy provides you with the right to choose who your leaders are. It has nothing whatsoever to do with registering to vote.
    I don't require leadership, maybe you do.
    I don't however see any requirement to register, but I may be wrong.

Maybe not in law, but in fact it is.
    It's a bit arrogant to think that anyone cares about your data in particular.

Its a bit arrogant of anyone else to think they have the right to store my personal data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah did you try teh data protection angle write to their office to write to the reg office...

You strike me as the type of person who would go along with anything.

Not sure what this about tbh.
    So what people are saying is that I have no right to privacy, I have to be registered. I have to join the masses.

When you are born you are registered. Privacy these days is an illusion imo. Once you have any type of details - bank, PAYE , health insurance, credit card etc. you are registered, in even more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The OP has a point about privacy.

The councils use the register for their own business, its their source of who lives at a particular address.
    Also the regsiter is used for jury duty in this country.

yeah did you try teh data protection angle write to their office to write to the reg office...

I have done this, not all that effective in my personal experience.
    When you are born you are registered. Privacy these days is an illusion imo. Once you have any type of details - bank, PAYE , health insurance, credit card etc. you are registered, in even more detail.

Yes, it truly is a sad state of affairs.

Interesting point about registration at birth. Infact when you are born, a bond is created and sold based on the amount of revenue you are expected to generate in your lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Exactly, so again we have a government/corporate cabal, dressed in the name of democracy.

LOL at the teenage angst! Don't worry, they're not all out to get you *pats head*

• Advertisement

I don't require leadership, maybe you do.
    Well shockingly enough, none of us personally get to decide what rules are implemented for the country and we can attempt to act as an independent unit, but believe it or not,you are just as subject to the laws and requirements of this country as everyone else.

So you can bitch and moan and do nothing about it or you can attempt to cast your vote for someone who may direct the country in the direction which you would like to see it go. If you feel that you don't want to be subject to the rules of this country but you couldn't be bothered trying to change anything, then feel free to head off to some other country. I think you'll find that few countries will do things exactly the way you want them done.
    Its a bit arrogant of anyone else to think they have the right to store my personal data.
    The law protects you in so much as everyone has the right to store personal data about you if:

a) You've supplied it to them and
    b) They need it for the purpose which you supplied it.

So if someone is storing your personal data and you don't like it, then it's your own fault for giving it to them in the first place. If they no longer need your data, ask them to remove it.

However, I think you'll find that the registor of electors requires your name and address in order to send you out a voting card. Whether you intend to use that card or not is none of their concern.

Also, your name and address is technically public data - if someone wants to find out who you are and where you live, they will, with or without the electoral register. You can't pretend you don't exist.

The law protects you in so much as everyone has the right to store personal data about you if:

a) You've supplied it to them and
    b) They need it for the purpose which you supplied it.

Rubbish. The government sell data to private companies, is that for the purpose intended.

However, I think you'll find that the registor of electors requires your name and address in order to send you out a voting card. Whether you intend to use that card or not is none of their concern.

You see, I don't want to vote.
    Also, your name and address is technically public data

And who sets the rules.

Rubbish. The government sell data to private companies, is that for the purpose intended.
    Government data is in some cases public data. If you can give examples of the Government selling private data to companies...
    You see, I don't want to vote.
    Then don't. Why the big palava?
    And who sets the rules.
    The government for which you don't want to cast your vote. If you don't vote, you don't get a say, so you have no right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well for a start, I like privacy, a forgotten concept nowadays.

Also, from what I have heard, inclusion on the voting registrar automatically dictates inclusion on other things.

Democracy is a joke, something to make the masses think they have free choice. You don't.

There is an opt in list as part of your addition to the Live books... you can get yourself removed from that... That list can be bought be agencies and companies and used for marketing purposes

Ginger wrote: »
    There is an opt in list as part of your addition to the Live books... you can get yourself removed from that... That list can be bought be agencies and companies and used for marketing purposes

How would one do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Check to if when you checked the box when you registered.. I can remember the terminology its been a while since i worked on that piece of software

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Interesting point about registration at birth. Infact when you are born, a bond is created and sold based on the amount of revenue you are expected to generate in your lifetime.
    Uh-huh. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

WanderingJew aka casey212 was banned earlier this afternoon so won't be participating in this thrilling thread any further.

Pity really, it makes for amusing reading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement