Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog was shivering

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So yesterday I spent the day in the back garden and shed doing a big clean up, the dog was as usual chewing away on one of his toys when i noticed that he was shivering. So let him into the house for a while and he curled up in front of his favourite radiator.

What temperature can dogs tolerate? He'd a 5 year old GSD, good health, The shed door is sheltered and it is only open enough for him to squeeze in, his bed is on a raised platform and is usually changed every 2/3 days.

When I'm there he's in the house but tends to wander back to the garden after saying hello to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

So yesterday I spent the day in the back garden and shed doing a big clean up, the dog was as usual chewing away on one of his toys when i noticed that he was shivering. So let him into the house for a while and he curled up in front of his favourite radiator.

What temperature can dogs tolerate? He'd a 5 year old GSD, good health, The shed door is sheltered and it is only open enough for him to squeeze in, his bed is on a raised platform and is usually changed every 2/3 days.

When I'm there he's in the house but tends to wander back to the garden after saying hello to me.

They feel the cold a lot, many people assume that dogs don't feel the cold as much as humans but there is not much difference. Yesterday was freezing no wonder the poor chap was shivering.
    Would you not consider letting him sleep in doors, at least in the winter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

He does but yesterday I was in the garden and he was out there with me, I had the door closed back door closed over so the wind wouldnt blow through the house, this was only 2/3pm so not at night.

Thanks, Maybe i'll get him a doggie jacket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

A large size fleece lined waterproof greyhound coat (that'd be most likely to fit him)Also you could hang old bits of carpet not just inside the door of the shed to keep out draughts but also around and above his bed.He'll love it,the 'cave' effect is very appealing to dogs and it'll insulate a space small enough for his body heat to keep cosy.Altogether safer,more effective and healthier than heat lamps.What happened to Global Warming I wonder?Perhaps it has taken a few days off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dobies found it hard yesterday too with the cold. Its impractical to leave them in the house as they would have the place wrecked. I did make a nice kennel for them though which is placed inside my garage and where they can come and go as they please. Its very well insulated and has its own air heating system which works at intervals on a timer on frosty nights.

Since these pics were taken I have fitted a flap on the door which allows just enough space for them to get in and out.

Dobies feel the cold more than most dogs - my collie thought it was quite nice yesterday.

In contrast the dobies were on a high today with the warm sunshine. Id love to be able to leave them in the house but its not possible at the moment. :rolleyes:

Here they are on the steps of their house - pic taken in Oct 2006.
    Mydogs.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Alfa those guys are so cute! Thats a similar set up for my dog. But I would like to make it better. I'll get some wood and a saw to it at the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

they are lords of the manor alfasudcrazy,;) nice job!

Advertisement